Beep Wheels???

Mark Aldrich

OK,

Say I'm a mechanic in WWII. We have a ¾ ton Beep come in from the field and the vehicle had all four tires flat. The idiot tow truck driver hauled it 100 plus miles back to my shop. The rims are toast. I do, however, have four new M3 armored car rims. I know the bolt holes are different. Could this still be changed? What would I need to change? I have no idea. This is something I am contemplating as I think I am going to end up destroying my beep wheels!!!!

Mark

Edited by Mark Aldrich

OK,

Say I'm a mechanic in WWII. We have a ¾ ton Beep come in from the field and the vehicle had all four tires flat. The idiot tow truck driver hauled it 100 plus miles back to my shop. The rims are toast. I do, however, have four new M3 armored car rims. I know the bolt holes are different. Could this still be changed? What would I need to change? I have no idea. This is something I am contemplating as I think I am going to end up destroying my beep wheels!!!!

Mark

Doubtful you could replace the rims if they are not interchangeable (I don't know if they are or aren't).

What would probably happen if the rims weren't available in the supply chain would be 1) cannibalizing serviceable rims/tires off of a destroyed truck or trucks with a long term mechanical problem (blown engine, tranny, etc.), or 2) having four similar trucks cross level their spare tires to the down vehicle.

Doubtful you could replace the rims if they are not interchangeable (I don't know if they are or aren't).

What would probably happen if the rims weren't available in the supply chain would be 1) cannibalizing serviceable rims/tires off of a destroyed truck or trucks with a long term mechanical problem (blown engine, tranny, etc.), or 2) having four similar trucks cross level their spare tires to the down vehicle.

Agree with Robin on what would likely be done given Mark's scenario. Changing wheels (rims) between non-similar vehicles would be literally impossible in the field, IMHO, if the bolt hole pattern and offset were not a perfect match. In addition, the diameter of the M3 wheels/tires appears to be much larger than the BEEP's, which would likely result in clearance/steering problems. Most likely the BEEP would be towed/placed in the "back forty" until the correct spare wheels could be found.

Just like today's trucks/cars, if the bolt pattern wasn't a perfect match, all the components from the axle/spindle outward would have to be replaced with parts that had the correct bolt pattern, and most likely this STILL wouldn't work, as there would almost ALWAYS be something that didn't fit the way it should. This scenario would be a mechanic's worst nightmare!

That's the same scenario over on ML. Story is that I have some nice directional tires from formations for the Beep. However, you have to remove the wheels from the AFV Club kit tires. I tried on the spare first and was not impressed. Nothing to do with Formations tires. It was my inability to shave and sand the wheels properly. I am hesitant to continue with the four drive tires as no one makes a replacement set (except with chains) in the definate probablity that I will eff those up as well.

Mark

Hi Mark,

The tires are bullet proof; they have a foam core so they will not go flat. This is why the vehicles would get stuck in the mud so well. You would un bolt the wheels to re-install new tires. Some time the British would put tires from a 15 cwt on a wc 51 / 52. Hope this helps.

Pappy