Most Gracefull Aircraft

Ron

Coming from a Prop head that loves P-38's, P-47's, and P-51's, unquestionably the Spitfire. Graceful looking.

I agree with the Spit but a very close contender has to be the next generation of fighters, the Me 262. It really pointed the way into the jet era.

I'm a ship guy, but I do have a thing for WW 2 warbirds. I'd have to break this up into categories, since different types have different design requirments.

Bombers: B-17, no question.

Fighters: Have to go with the Spitfire.

Transports: Got to go with the C-47.

Flying boats: Catalina.

Bob

Prop: Spitfire (with the Mustang a close second)

Jet: F-86 Saberjet (yea, I know, not WWII)

Both had great proportions and looked good on the ground and in the air! They also both performed at the top level of the genres in their time. Just goes to show, if it looks right aerodynamically, it'll fly nice!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Treadhead says.................................................

Wait for it........................................

P-61 baby!!!!!!!

Well ok Propheads he I go. The funny thing is is that I was in Naval aviation and started building models of airplanes when I first got into this hobby. So that being said I voto for the F4U-1D corsair and the P-51 Mustang as a tie. Love both of them. Now if they could make tank fly, oh wait the Russians did. Yaaa, now that is cool.

Chris

Edited by 802chrisg

I have to go with Spitfire. Almost to pretty to be a war machine. Looks more like what it came from a racing airplane. Perfection.

I love the Macchi Mc202 as much as I love Italian food. What a beautiful, aerial Ferrari that was!

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

IPMS#14333

I don't know. Ever seen a Blackburn Dart? Looks like someone kicked it in the nose.

A lot of British naval recon aircraft are named after port cities. Saro, London, Stranraer, Sunderland, etc. I guess they were running out and went with Blackburn.

I haven't seen it listed yet, but I would like to add a few.

I've always like the A6M Zero - the early A6M2 was much more "graceful" than most of the other early war aircraft.

I've also always liked the lines of the M6A1 Seiran (although it looks better without the floats!)

BUT I think my favorite was the J7W1 Shinden - hands down one of the best looking aircraft of the war (IMO)

Beauty, and grace, are in the eye of the beholder I guess. The venerable P-47D bubbletop gets top marks in my book. It may look like a deformed milk jug on the ground but it's down right gorgeous in the air!

David

Edited by DavidF