Ancient DuPont Tin

Kranman

Guys -

I've come into possession of an unopened tin of DuPont Chrome Yellow paint. It's very old but the label doesn't have any date though there are stampings on the bottom and top of the tin. There is no 'usual' pry-off lid. Instead, the top is stamped 'thin tin' and is apparently to be pierced with a can opener of some type. The contents still slosh around!

Anyone care to guess as to age? I have a question submitted to DuPont's website but have not heard back since last week. I know there's a ton of hubbub on colors but if this is an authentic Chrome Yellow from, say, the '30's or '40's, well, we'd have a bonafide survivor on our hands...

Frank

You might try contacting USAAF color expert Dana Bell. You can do that by posting on Hyperscale.com. My impression is that there never was a "pre-mix" chrome yellow paint before WWII; and it was never officially called "chrome yellow". However, it may be something from the 40s-50's when it was still being used for trainers, or simply a Dupont paint stock made for private aircraft owners who wanted to paint their own plane in an "authentic" color. Sounds VERY interesting!

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...