Korean Era Decals

phantomordie

What scale? MicroScale made a number of them in1/72

I,m looking for 1/72 but haven't been able to find them through Squadron or some other places I've tried. Still being a novice I don't know all the nooks and crannies to look in. Thanks at least thats a start. John

Check out many of the on-line shops for Aeromaster and Superscale deals. They made the most USN 50's stuff. Superscale (or old Microscale) made sheets of plain white/black letters and numbers in several sizes and scales. They also made modex sheets (Navy, Marines, etc), as well as sheets of stars/bars; with and without the red stripes. You can use those sheets in tandem to make up serial numbers, squadron markings, and plane numbers that you might not find on a standard decal sheet.

If you can't find those, try your local hobby shop for dry transfer lettering. Look in the TRAIN department for Woodland Scenics letters. They make many different sizes/fonts/colors of letters that you can use as a decal, or as a paint mask. If your LHS can't help you, try a local art supply store or architecture supply store for the dry transfer lettering.

If you can't find a specific sheet for your subject, the toughest part will be squadron patches/logos. There are ways to scan them, resize them, and then print them onto decal paper. Although it sounds complicated, it's easier than freehand painting! Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16: