Best Pershng Kit: Dragon, Tamiya or HobbyBoss?

TheMadKlingon

Hi Gents:

At my wife's insistence I have decided to build an American WWII tank - too many German subjects for here taste I suppose. I like the unusual so right away I knew Shermans were out. Except maybe with that cool Verlinden mine roller or the snorkels or a Calliope...but I digress.

I settled on a Pershing for two reasons: ) It's an unusual subject because it arrived late in WWII and 2) it is featured prominently in the PC Game, "Company of Heroes" I play from time to time.

I have the old Dragon T26E3 version in my stash raring to go but I read recently that Tamiya's version has better details like cast numbers and an open exhaust. And just today I read a review of the HobbyBoss M26 version that stated it was superior to both Dragon's and Tamiya's kits. And of course HobbyBoss produces what, three versions of thing?

Here are my questions:

1) Which is the better kit?

2) Of the available kits, which is a WWII Pershing?

Thanks and I look forward to the discussion.

Tom

Edited by TheMadKlingon

Both the Tamiya and Dragon kits build into WW2 T26E3 Pershing tanks. The Tamiya kit is fun to build, but I've got the old Dragon one and it isn't bad at all. Either kit works. I have not inspected the Hobby Boss myself and can offer no opinions on whether it is a true WW2 Pershing or Korean War era Pershing.

I'd just go with the one in your stash; it's already paid for and on hand.

The latest AMPS magazine, Boresight, has an article on building the "Super Pershing"

And I have an extra T26-E4 from Trumpeter in 1/72 scale with which I will be using some of that info to build this pilot tank.

I had both the Tamiya kit & the older Dragon/DML kit in my stash. After comparing the two kits, I decided to build the Tamiya and sell the Dragon on eBay.

Why? 'Cuz the Tamiya had one-piece tracks, and MUCH better detailing in my opinion. The Tamiya kit turned out fine, but I glued the "moveable" suspension in place as it was simply a pain.

Ok, here goes:

Dragon/Cyber-Hobby = T26E3 - older kit but is the best representation of the T26E3

Tamiya = M26 - better but more complicated and can be build as either a T26E3 or M26 version

HobbyBoss = M26 - best kit but may be a Korean version with WWII markings.

I've been reading up on the history of the early Pershing and understand it was originally designated the T26E3 and later M26. Were both designations used in late WWII or was the name changed after the war? What were the significant differences between the two.

I'm thinking about recreating the illustration on the back of the Squadron publication showing a Pershing guarding a bridge.