Enamel vs Acrylic paints

bradco

I'm jumping back into modeling after about a 20-year hiatus. I'm noticing the varieties of bottled paint. I've only worked with the Testor enamels. So, I'm intrigued by the Acryl line. I've read that the Acryl is formulated to adhere especially well to plastic models. I like the idea of water clean up (& I suppose water thinning for brush painting). Can people respond with some compare & contrast? Thanks in advance for some pros & cons & maybe your experience with the 2 types.

Well, my personal experiences with acrylic paints has been to stick with enamels (because acrylics don't stick well to plastic, despite the "special formulation" :smiley2: )! But then, I have no problems with fumes since I paint in my garage.

C'mon you acrylic lovers! Defend yourselves!

GIL :smiley16:

I primarily use Vallejo Model Air acrylics and haven't had any adhesion problems yet, as long as the surface has been cleaned and primed. I don’t believe Tamiya uses a true acrylic (seems to be some sort of blend or hybrid) and I have had issues with adhesion and finish texture. I’ve had nothing but problems with Testor’s Acryl line; I stay far away from it.

The Vallejo Model Air line is very easy to work with and results in a smooth tough finish with very little effort. Just be sure to use a light touch on the airbrush and never use alcohol or lacquer thinner to thin it. Usually doesn’t need any thinning and a little water is all that’s needed if it does.

thank you: Never heard of Vallejo. Available at hobby shops or online? All other features mostly equal, the issue of smell may be important if I brush paint indoors, which I do. If you don't need thinner, then acrylics smell less?... But is appearance or adhesion significantly different? Can you tell the difference in appearance? What about durability of the finish? Thanks in advance.

Vallejo paints are available online from most retailers. If you are brush painting I would recommend the Model Color line of paints from Vallejo – best paints for brushing on the market. Testors, Tamiya and Vallejo Model Air paints do not brush well at all.

Smell is not really an issue with acrylic paints, although Tamiya has a ‘sweet’ smell that I don’t find appealing, but some like it. Since you thin acrylics with water or alcohol (depending on brand), thinners are not much of an issue either. The Vallejo paints have a very smooth tough finish, very similar to enamels in my opinion – although no acrylic will be quite as tough as a properly applied enamel finish.

thank you: Never heard of Vallejo. Available at hobby shops or online? All other features mostly equal, the issue of smell may be important if I brush paint indoors, which I do. If you don't need thinner, then acrylics smell less?... But is appearance or adhesion significantly different? Can you tell the difference in appearance? What about durability of the finish? Thanks in advance.

If you brush paint, then I do think there is an argument to be made for acrylics. Generally, acrylics brush paint better than enamels.

I've used enamels and switched to acrylics then back to enamels and am back to acrylics now mainly because of easier cleanup. If you use acrylics you need a retarder and the proper thinner. I use Model Master acrylics and thin with 91% alcohol with Liquitex medium from Hooby Lobby for retarder. I usually don't have any problems as long as I get my airbrush set right. I thin about 60% paint to 40% alcohol with 2 or three drops of Liquitex. If brushing about 90% paint and 10% alcohol. But that's me,someone else willhave thier own formula. Search all the info available and find what works best for you. There are alot of cheap kits from different sources to experiment on. Everyday is a good day ,some are just better than others.

• 2 months later...

I have had a go with both Enamels and Acrylics.

Regardless of what type of paint is used provided I prepare the surface properly I have had no problems with either.

Normally I will rub any plastic surface with some worn Scotchbrite. This will dull the surface to give the paint a 'key'.

Wash this with diluted detergent washing up liquid, to get rid of any residue from the Scotchbrite rubbing and anyd mould release oils

that may still be present. Allow this to dry and then give it a coat of matt white or grey primer.

Once this has dried, either paint should stay put without any problems.

However, if you intend to use matt enamel as the primer, and acrylic as the top coat,

be absolutely sure that the primer coat has dried thoroughly, or the acrylic could start to crack.

Hope this helps.

I primarily use Vallejo Model Air acrylics and haven't had any adhesion problems yet, as long as the surface has been cleaned and primed. I don't believe Tamiya uses a true acrylic (seems to be some sort of blend or hybrid) and I have had issues with adhesion and finish texture. I've had nothing but problems with Testor's Acryl line; I stay far away from it.

The Vallejo Model Air line is very easy to work with and results in a smooth tough finish with very little effort. Just be sure to use a light touch on the airbrush and never use alcohol or lacquer thinner to thin it. Usually doesn't need any thinning and a little water is all that's needed if it does.

Well after several months of working with acrylics and telling myself (convincing myself?) that they were working just fine I have found myself going back to enamels on my latest build and having to admit that I have not been able to achieve the same degree of finish quality with acrylics. Coming back into the hobby after a long absence and trying to go strictly with acrylics without performing any type of comparison back to enamels was giving me an inaccurate baseline. I had forgotten how easy it was to achieve a smooth durable finish with enamels, much better than I have been able to achieve on any of the builds using acrylics. Not to say that others are not achieving super results, because I'm certain they are. But I think for the time being I'll strap on my mask and continue to use enamels over any of the acrylics I've tried. The combination of Gunze-Sangyo Mr. Color paints with either Mr. Thinner leveling thinner or Tamiya's lacquer thinner (which I believe contains a similar leveling agent) mixed 1:2 provides a very smooth durable finish with little effort. It makes me smile :smiley14: