On decanting paint --- how much do you get?

jlk2

I pose the question of how much paint, in ml, can be expected when a 100 mi can is decanted.

I seek the experience of others, for if I myself tried this, I would end up with the following: 43 ml on the workbench when the tube came off the can, 24 ml into the air, 18ml on me, 3 ml on the cat when he bumped me to let me know it was time for dinner, leaving me with 11 ml in the bottle.

I assume that once the paint is in the bottle, that it can be stored and used as any bottled paint?

• 4 weeks later...
....I seek the experience of others, for if I myself tried this, I would end up with the following: 43 ml on the workbench when the tube came off the can, 24 ml into the air, 18ml on me, 3 ml on the cat when he bumped me to let me know it was time for dinner, leaving me with 11 ml in the bottle....

I had an experience with decanting that has been the long-standing subject of humiliation within our club. Being a glutton for punishment is the only reason I can think of to regurgitate this memory for myself and others.... I would like to add (and subtract) from you measurements... To set the stage I'll mention I did my decanting in the middle of my kitchen, with an old style beer can opener (remember those?)... I had already inverted the can and pressed the button, but there was also an interval where the can warmed up and repressurized--not much, but apparently enough. Of the 100ml in question, none contacted either cat, thus saving 3ml to be added to the 65ml that went into the air, quickly settling onto the stove, counter, refrigerator, cabinets and ceramic floor tile. 30 ml went directly into my face/neck, and the remaining 2ml that actually stayed in the can ended up on the floor when I dropped the can. I then yelled for my wife to bring me a towel, after which I went out on the front porch to get some air and collect myself. Once out in the cool night air I thought a quick smoke would calm me down. I quickly decided against that as I struck my lighter, and realizing my head was wet with rather volatile paint, the image of Richard Pryor running down the street crossed my mind. Since that night, in the interest of my health and well-being, I have quit both smoking and attempting to decant spray cans.