Estimating amount of paint needed

jlk2

I'm about to buy paint in some quantity over the Internet and trying to get an idea of how much I will need. I hate buying a bottle today and paying the $8.00 shipping and handling charge, only to find out tomorrow that I need another bottle and paying another $8 for it.

To try to quantify the answer, let us suppose the following:

I am painting a 1/48 mode P-47 in silver. How much coverage can I expect if I am using 10 ml bottles? Will I need 1/2 bottle, 1 bottle, or 2 or 3 bottles?

Now I know that this is hard to answer, since you cannot see my airbrush settings of how much paint I am applying in one coat, but assume that it is enough to cover the plane completely without getting it on so thick that it runs.

• 4 weeks later...

I tend to waste paint, so a rather liberal guess would be about 7mL (about 1/4 oz.) to paint the P-47. There are plenty of guys here who do P-47's on a regular basis, and they could tell you down to the drop, but of course none have replied.... I would get a few bottles (or tins, however you buy it). It will save on shipping costs, and it's not like the stuff will go bad, so you might as well get some extra for future use and have it on hand. You must live where there are no hobby shops.

Edited by Disco58