P-47 Decal Question

DavidF

It can be done even if they're not commercially available....

lwf0000.jpg

This is the old Revell 1/32 kit. As I recall (and it was at least 15+yrs ago) I used Frisket paper to make templates for the Hun Hunter XIV name, as well as the "40", and then painted those items onto clear decal sheet. By painting turqouise and black 40s and then overlaying them at an angle, you can make the side codes. The squadron insignia (bird) was hand painted onto clear decal film (multiple tries) and then I used the best effort. The rest of the markings can be painted or taken from the spares box.

I post this just to show that it's not too complicated to do yourself IF there's still no commercially available decals. It's one of my favorite schemes and I also have it in 1/48! Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Outstanding work there Gil, but I'm not sure I have the skills at this point. As popular as this scheme seems to be, I was hoping someone had sets available in the larger scales.

If they're not available, I'd hold off for a few months to a year. It's such a popular subject, and the artwork is avaialble in smaller scales, so I expect it would be released by someone eventually (famous last words :smiley13: ), unless you want to challenge yourself.

GIL :smiley16: