IPMS-USA Decals- Scale Master Limited Edition

plastickjunkie

I recently picked up a 1/28 Revell Dr.1 and Camel kits in a garage sale. The Camel kit had a decal sheet set titled "IPMS-USA Decals, Scale Master Limited Edition". It has markings for the DR.1, the Camel and the Spad aircraft. The instruction sheet is a little yellow but the decals look to be in mint condition. Can anyone tell me when this set was offered?

Edited by plastickjunkie

Ernesto: I'm not sure but I think those decals date from the 1980's. I'd have to delve into my old Updates/Quarterlies to see when they were available.

AHA! I did a little digging through my old Updates (still have EVERY IPMS issue from '77 til now) and found the WWI decal ad as NEW in the spring (Mar/Apr) 1982 Update. They were also still listed on the Special Products ordering form in the Update as late as 1984.

You have some decals there that are closing in on 30yrs old! By the way, Scale Master did 1rst rate work, and the decals (if "mint" as described) should work great!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Thanks Gil. The decals are in mint condition. I figured them to be from the 80's since the Dr.1 and Camel kits are from 1981. I ordered some pe sets from Tom's Modelworks to bring them up to date. The IPMS decals will add a special twist.

The BOXES those kits are in may be 1981 editions, but those Revell 1/28 WWI kits all date from the late 50's/early 60's! Regardless, they're some of the best tooled kits ever produced by Revell, and with the exception of some minor inaccuracies on the Triplane, they're still VERY good builds. Those decals will simply make them all the more unique!

GIL :smiley16:

Wait! Before you use those decals, perhaps you would like to scan them on a good scanner. That way if anything goes wrong you still have the art work and can perhaps find someone who would like to reproduce them on a good printer. That way they are preserved. I always scan every set of decals before I use it just for that reason. Now, it would be illegal to reproduce them for sale since they are probably copyrighted, but it is perfectly legal to redo them for your own use.

Love those kits but missed those decals. DO please build these and post the pix!

Bob

Will do. I started on the DR1 which has the cockpit started by its previous owner who did a good job, so I'm trying to do as much as I can with the assembled parts. The Camel is mint and unbuilt. :D

Wait! Before you use those decals, perhaps you would like to scan them on a good scanner. That way if anything goes wrong you still have the art work and can perhaps find someone who would like to reproduce them on a good printer. That way they are preserved. I always scan every set of decals before I use it just for that reason. Now, it would be illegal to reproduce them for sale since they are probably copyrighted, but it is perfectly legal to redo them for your own use.

Never thought about that. It sounds like a great idea to make a spare set just in case they rip or crack.