Workbench Saturdays!!!!

llcoolray

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some very interesting work displayed in this thread. While not up to the standards that others are establishing I'll submit three images of my recently completed Seaview by Polar Lights.

SeaviewPolarLights5099NameplateView.jpg

SeaviewPolarLights5099PortView.jpg

SeaviewPolarLights5099StarboardView.jpg

Fun, fast, and easy!

Hi, Dick,

Your Seaview appears to be the Polar Lights reissue/copy of the original Aurora kit because it is the 1960 movie version. The two rows of observation windows give it away. Just one comment: the preshading of the hull panels appears on my screen to be a bit heavy and dark. I don't recall seeing such contrast on the film model's hull. The support base looks terrific, just like something we would see under water.

Ed

The base is a simple "wash". I shot it with a Tamiya green and then used a slightly darker Vallejo green, mixed with distilled water.... Not hard to achieve at all. Probably two or three additional shades would pop out the shadows and highlights more but I'm happy with the end result.

The "tiger stripes", as one of my modeling friends put it, were a spur of the moment deal. I make no attempt to accurately represent most Sci Fi subjects but rather, just indulge whatever painting fancy strikes me at the moment. I filled in the bow windows. The fit was terrible and large gaps needed to be filled between the "clear" windows and hull. It was easier to simply bondo over the whole smash and mask off the windows with the old Gunze Transparent Blue.

With considerable work this could be made into a nice model and it would be rather simple to light up the interor. I think there is a larger version out, this one is about 13 or 14 inches long.

Lots of fun for very little money.

A few posts back I showed an in-progress shot of the 1/350 Dragon Los Angeles Class fast attack submarine USS Chicago SSN 721. I was planning an experiment to make the hull appear as if it has the surface detail of the anti-sonar detection material. Here's a close-up of the hull wrapped in cross-stitch webbing. My intent was to airbrush a slightly more gray color through the webbing and allow the lower black color to show up as "panel lines."

USSChicago2.jpg

Did this technique work? Judge for yourself. The surface detail is one layer of paint thick. I used Model Master Semi-gloss Black underneath. For the "raised" detail I used MM Semi-gloss Black mixed with a few drops of MM Flat White right in the airbrush cup.

USSChicago3.jpg

Here's the removed webbing after painting.

USSChicago4.jpg

The nose is MM Semi-gloss Black, the anti-slip walkway is MM Flat Black, and the tile structure is as described above. Your opinions on the results are welcome. I still have to finish up with the decal markings (very few) and the periscopes on top of the sail. I'll decide how to add the boat's name and number to the display stand later.

USSChicago5.jpg

Ed

SSN 721 - ya gotta be proud of that -!!!

Good eyes and a great idea, spotting that cross-stitch web pattern and its usefulness for this application. The sign of a true virtuoso...and/or an uncurable addict!

It's Thursday and that is almost Saturday...does that qualify? Anyway, here is an old Aoshima kit of the Zraw Zic. I bought this model in 1984 knowing that sooner or later I'd have the time to get to it. Well, this week was "that time". This appears to be a "game piece" or "game pieces" to be more accurate. The coin in the image is a dime so one can tell that these are small. The kit produces two Zraw Zic Base Ships. One Base Ship had the "docking" pins so that 3 Parasite Fighters could be attached. The other Base Ship displayed the craft in "flight mode" with the docking mechanisms "retracted". There were six Parasite Fighters, three of which are in flight, and three of which are docked to one of the Base Ships.

Alclad was used on everything with a post-shading airbrushing of "exhaust" and "intake" areas. A thin black wash was applied to pick out some of the panel lines.

ZrawZicAoshimaG2-TS-16-300600thSqdwithconcomplete.jpg

ZrawZicAoshimaG2-TS-16-300600thSqdBaseShipwParasiteFightersDockedComplete.jpg

ZrawZicAoshimaG2-TS-16-300600thBaseShipComplete.jpg

ZrawZicAoshimaG2-TS-16-300600thSqdBaseShipSternComplete.jpg

Mark and Bob, thanks for your great comments. The cross-stitch webbing comes in a variety of spacings for the grid, so you have to carefully select the pattern that best simulates the scale spacing on your model. I looked at both the hook latch and cross-stitch choices before finally settling on a spacing of 8.5 squares to the inch. I was in Hobby Lobby, but I suspect a fabric store could be another source. I also looked at but rejected the fine metal mesh products because they had too much potential to scratch the paint during the application and removal process.

Here's a photo of the USS Key West SSN 722 taken at Pearl Harbor in February 2010 as our launch pulled alongside to permit us to board for an 8-hour day cruise. The pattern I was trying to simulate with squares is actually a brick pattern. I could not find any such grid that would work for this exact look. It's the thought that counts, right?

150.jpg

Ed

Ed and others...

Michael's also carries a vast selection of cross stitch materials.

I think the "pattern" on the sub looks great! You wanted to show that the area is something different from the rest of the hull and it catches the eye without being over bearing. If you factor in "scale", your patterning is probably closer to the real thing than you think. Overall, it was an ingenious idea executed brilliantly! Congrats, and thanks for the tutorial too!

GIL :smiley16:

I've actually got a "Saturday" project to share on Workbench Saturday! This is the 5000th scale Nitto kit of the "Cordoba". The completed model is about 5 inches in length.

CordobaNitto23021-2005000thCompletefrtleft.jpg

(View is from the lft front)

CordobaNitto23021-2005000thCompletelftrear.jpg

(View is from the left side, bow to the left, stern to the right)

CordobaNitto23021-2005000thCompletertside.jpg

(Rigth side view)

A few posts back I showed an in-progress shot of the 1/350 Dragon Los Angeles Class fast attack submarine USS Chicago SSN 721. I was planning an experiment to make the hull appear as if it has the surface detail of the anti-sonar detection material. Here's a close-up of the hull wrapped in cross-stitch webbing. My intent was to airbrush a slightly more gray color through the webbing and allow the lower black color to show up as "panel lines."

USSChicago2.jpg

Did this technique work? Judge for yourself. The surface detail is one layer of paint thick. I used Model Master Semi-gloss Black underneath. For the "raised" detail I used MM Semi-gloss Black mixed with a few drops of MM Flat White right in the airbrush cup.

USSChicago3.jpg

Here's the removed webbing after painting.

USSChicago4.jpg

The nose is MM Semi-gloss Black, the anti-slip walkway is MM Flat Black, and the tile structure is as described above. Your opinions on the results are welcome. I still have to finish up with the decal markings (very few) and the periscopes on top of the sail. I'll decide how to add the boat's name and number to the display stand later.

USSChicago5.jpg

Ed

That is a great technique. Consider it stolen. As they say in TOP GUN, "Gutsiest move I ever saw man."

Well, for me it wasn't Workbench Saturday, it was Workbench Monday. My latest updates are posted in the Manufacturing Tour. Feel free to check them out and leave comments.

Great job with the screen material! That has some interesting potential for Sci Fi subjects as well as subs. My "workbench saturday" report consists of no more than painting the Tamiya 35th brick wall set. Not real exciting.

And speaking of the Brick Wall, it's done. I needed to get in some reps with acrylic paint and this little project filled that need. I'll use it at some point to frame a piece of 35th scale something or other. This is the ancient Tamiya Brick Wall set that I've had in my collection since the early '90s.

BrickWallSetTamiya3502850035thcomplete.jpg

Thanks Mark. Now its the Sand Bags Set that is being prepared for painting. I've got a piece of small arty...an anti-tank gun of some kind, and the idea is forming to put it among the brick walls and sand bags.

I guess playing around with the Brick Wall Set is the root cause of this project, but shortly after finishing the Brick Wall I pulled out the Tamiya 3.7Cm Pak 35 (What does "PAK" mean anyway?) and completed the basic assembly on the field piece. I decided to mount it on a base with some minimal scenery. This project is not yet fully complete. The scenery needs some more work, some "armor-clutter" needs to be added (empty and 'in-use" ammo boxes), and some figures need to be added.

Here are some WIP pics.

The "complete" field piece without paint or weathering.

FieldPiecePriortopainting.jpg

FieldPiecePrioronpinkinsulation.jpg

The field piece on the pink styrofoam 1/2" insulation material that I like to use as a base for railroad items.

The base has been cut out of a small sheet of the insulation material and a base coat of color has been added to the styrofoam base. The base was first sprayed with a rattle primer gray to hide the pink color and to give the illusion of a "rock" foundation. I used two Vallejo "dirt" colors and slopped them on over the gray primer, allowing them to mix as they were applyed.

Basehasbeenpainted.jpg

Additional scenery was applied using Liquitex Medium Gel as an adhesive. Water was brushed on a small area of the base with a liberal coating of the gel immediately applied over the water. The scenic material was then sprinkled, pushed into, or laid on the water/gel mix. This is not the same application process I use on my HO train layout but I like this process (new to me, read about it in FSM) for smaller areas. The Gel has a much quicker drying time then the Carpenter's Glue I use on the train layout.

37CmAntiTankPak3536TamiyaFrtView.jpg

The field piece has been weathered with some Tamiya pigments.

37CmAntiTankPak3536TamiyaRearView.jpg

37CmAntiTankPak3536TamiyaOverheadView.jpg

Finished this little guy up on Sunday and couldn't wait till Saturday to post so here goes. The bust is called Jack the Ripped and he's only around 2 inches tall. My wife also joined in the modeling / painting fun by paiting the Minnie Mouse and my 5 year old daughter painted her Snow White. It had to have green skin because that is the color of zombie skin is what she told me. So Father's day was spent with my favorite people doing my favorite thing. By the way my wife and I have been together for 11 years, married for 7 and this is the very first time she has ever participated in anything model related. Was a very fun day. Ray

DSC05651.jpg

DSC05650.jpg

DSC05649.jpg

DSC05653.jpg

DSC05652.jpg

group1.jpg