Workbench Saturdays!!!!

llcoolray

This weekend I put in an hour on the Ferrari 458 from Fujimi. That build is just about to hit the review page. The other is the 1/48 P-39 from Eduard. Thats the one I try to chip away at between reviews which tend to consume most of my building time these days. Its all good! Oh wait, that was on Sunday, does that count here?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just realize I never uploaded any completion pics of this build. Great kit, fun to build and the best I've done since getting back into the hobby.

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since anyone has added to this thread and I hate to see it die. My birthday was Friday and my kids got me this and said I had to stop all other projects and build the one they bought me. So I have most of the body sanded and I'm waiting for the basecoat to dry on the base to get started on some wood effects. These pics just mocked up, have to tweak his arms so the fingers fit flush to the floor. Other than that real sweet kit.

wow2.jpg

wow1.jpg

wow.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great job on the base! I'll be looking for the finished project at some of the contests along the IH-10 corridor! And all Jr. needs (the baby pic in the background) is a mudbug in one hand and a model in the other!

Here is what I was working on Saturday afternoon. DML's 700th Typhoon.

MVC-073S.jpg

Its Tuesday, but I was working on these two DML 700th subs on Saturday. Does that count?

Pics 1 and 2 are the Typhoon and pics 3 and 4 are the USS Dallas.

USSDallasvsTyphoonDML7001700thTyphoonTopView-1.jpg

USSDallasvsTyphoonDML7001700thTyphoonSideView-1.jpg

USSDallasvsTyphoonDML7001700thDallasTopView-1.jpg

USSDallasvsTyphoonDML7001700thDallasSideView-1.jpg

And while I'm at it...these were finished a week ago....Nitto kits from the Crusher Joe TV series.

PiratesMissileFrigateNitto23017100144thrtfrt.jpg

SR5SirenNitto23012100144thlftfrt.jpg

Great job on the base! I'll be looking for the finished project at some of the contests along the IH-10 corridor! And all Jr. needs (the baby pic in the background) is a mudbug in one hand and a model in the other!

Here is what I was working on Saturday afternoon. DML's 700th Typhoon.

MVC-073S.jpg

Hey Dick "she" already does. Here she is now at 5 with her favorite model and she can eat crawfish with the best of em.

DSC02504.jpg

DSC02501.jpg

DSC02511.jpg

What a gorgeous smile! She did awesome on that model too. Please pass on my kudos for a job very well done. It's nice to see more kids into model building, hopefully they'll always come back to the hobby.

That's a great job on the figure! And she's only five? Yikes! You better hide your stash or she'll be sweet-talking you out of your models before you know it!

This Saturday saw a push on a number of projects...this one being the Academy 32nd scale Sopwith Camel.

SopwithCamelAcademy32nd.jpg

This Saturday saw a push on a number of projects...this one being the Academy 32nd scale Sopwith Camel.

OK,

I know it has been a long time since I went to school but a NUMBER of projects usually mean MORE THAN ONE!!! Gonna be a big OLE plane.

This is the old Thunderbird Zero-X by Imai in 1/8000th scale. The kit has a traction motor and when wound and released it rolls about two feet in 4 or 5 seconds. Really a hoot to see it moving along under its own power.

ThunderbirdsZeroXIMAIB060BackLeft.jpg

ThunderbirdsZeroXIMAIB060FrtRt.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My latest project is AMT's Diamond REO conventional cab. Had Monograms B17 but the quality was so below par that it is sitting in time-out :( :smiley13::smiley19:

It's Saturday on Memorial Day weekend, and it's been cold and raining all day. What better excuse than to work on some kits?

The first one is the Dragon (cyber-hobbies.com) reissue of the 1/350 Los Angeles Class fast attack submarine USS Chicago SSN 721 (which I have a personal affiliation with). The boat has just come out of a year-long engineered overhaul in drydock at Pearl Harbor and will be reassigned to Guam later this year. The red lower hull is gone, so it is overall black now. The skin of the hull is wrapped in a special material that helps reduce the sonar/detection signature. This has the general appearance of a brick pattern. I am trying to simulate a pattern with the webbing used in cross-stiching wrapped around the hull. I'm hoping a light spray with the airbrush in a slightly more gray color will leave the grid pattern behind and make the squares stand out just a little. It's ready for paint at this point.

USSChicago1.jpg

Moving on to sci-fi, here's my Discovery astronaut in painting progress. The jumpsuit is not finished beyond the base color. Note the scratchbuilt flat-screen data pad at his feet (Stanley Kubrick was decades ahead with predicting this device). He will be holding it in his right hand.

2001Pod51.jpg

Here's the work pod with the last of the surface details I plan to have before painting.

2001Pod52.jpg

At the Phoenix Nats last year, I bought a Pegasus Hobbies Space Ark from the 1951 film When Worlds Collide. This has been screaming at me to build, so I finally broke down and started it. There are only 26 pieces to this kit--25 in ABS plastic and 1 vacuformed base. The fit is outstanding. What disappointed me was the oversimplification of the launch ramp section and rocket undercarriage launch sled. Molded in a single 14" long piece, the launch ramp is hollow from underneath. I boxed in all the open spaces on the center, support arms, and side rails with white Evergreen sheet and strip. I left open the five holes for the center supports. Looking carefully at freeze frames from the DVD, it is obvious that this is made from precast concrete forms and assembled on site.

SpaceArk1.jpg

The launching rocket sled was very lacking in detail. The full size movie set had a lot of detail, which I did my best to replicate with Evergreen strips of various sizes and using two different drill sizes to add the lightening holes in the flat plates.

SpaceArk3.jpg

Here we see the rocket sled in position on the top of the ramp.

SpaceArk6.jpg

Seen from beneath, the need to box in the open structure on the ramp is obvious. I added one strip on each side to provide the detail shown in the film.

SpaceArk7.jpg

This area basically shows what was built full size for filming, with the rest added from model photography. I spent many hours trying to get this to work right. I was successful in bending all 14 strips around the pointed tips without breaking one.

SpaceArk9.jpg

One last observation: the box claims the kit is 1/350 scale. Using the dimension of 400' for the length of the hull given specifically in the film, the model scales out at about 1/450. Oops.

Ed

Edited by ewahl

Just finished, this is the ARII SDF-1 Cruiser Fortress (Macross) in 8000th scale. The model measures out to about 4 inches high when "standing" and with a "wing-span" of about 5 inches when the armament is displayed in the "full open" position. The "arms" are moveable.

SDF1CruiserFortressARIIAR3088000thview3.jpg

SDF1CruiserFortressARIIAR3088000thview2.jpg

One can see the rectangular opening for the display base (roughly in the belly button area) which helps to identify this side as the underside of the vehicle.

The image below represents the upper surfaces.

SDF1CruiserFortressARIIAR3088000thview1.jpg