Workbench Saturdays!!!!

llcoolray

Thanks for the comments Dick. The spinner was made easy with an Eduard's spinner mask, but I'm still really proud of how it turned out. This is my first mottled camo and I'm not real happy with it, especially after finishing the RLM74 this afternoon. May be starting the paint job over if I can't correct it. These are the only pictures I've taken of this build, didn't want to document the tons of mistakes I made. ;) I'm going to another G-6 or maybe an F series 109 next and may document that project.

David

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the mottling on the fuselage looked good...perhaps more mottling and lower on the fuselage than it is now.....I don't know....not very knowledgable about that.

When I need to do stuff like that I use an Iwata Eclipse...set the pressure low and get the paint/thinner mix right.....looks like Floyd Werner did it!

Yeah, I finished the fuselage mottling and its looks pretty good -

IMG_2482.JPG

It's the upper wing surfaces I messed up on. I think I can re-mask and re-spray and it will be ok -

IMG_2483.JPG

I use an Iwata HP-B Plus for detail work and it does a fantastic job :smiley20:

David

David, I like what I see. Great job. Your mottling is outstanding. Can't wait to see the wing fixes.

Dick, nice job on your small scale armor. Detail was a bit tough to pick out in those pics, but what I could see what quite good. Welcome to my world. Now that you've done one, you know what I've been through 553 times already.

I'll have a few more updates posted later of my weekend work.

Detail? What's that? :smiley17:

Seriously, the model was only "practice" for a specific painting technique. I hid the nasty parts of the finished work which don't look too good by selecting a specific camera angle. The next attempt will be on a 48th or 35th scale item and more effort will be spent in achieving a much higher quality "build" while continuing to tinker with the painting technique.

Seeing David's 109 makes me want to jump right on one of those but I've got a Miss Port Columbus that must be finished first and the paint job on it is vastly different from a cammo scheme like what we're watching David apply.

I look forward to more images from David, and of course, the lates to roll off the Duke's assembly line!

A quick update on correcting my paint goof on my Bf109G-6 project. Wings sanded, primed and pre-shaded with a little RLM66 -

IMG_2506.JPG

Sprayed the RLM75 -

IMG_2507.JPG

and with a little RLM74 I'm back in business ready to move on to the next step. :smiley20:

IMG_2508.JPG

I'm getting better fixing my mistakes...finally :blush:

Not much progress this week. Worked the paint some, added the canopy and that's about it. Will probably work the landing gear before finishing up the paint.

IMG_2514.JPG

David

Not much going on today. First coats of gloss going on in prep for decals and working some of the smaller pieces, landing gear, drop tank and such. This is the Hasegawa 1/32 Bf109G-6 kit and I really like it. Glad I bought 2 of them.

IMG_2559.JPG

David

This Saturday started out well. I finished this Sd.Kfz.184 by Dragon and any day is a good day when it begins with the conclusion of a project. I'm not much of an armor builder as is evidenced by the finished product but it was fun to stretch oneself into an unfamiliar genre. Nothing fancy here. I airbrushed the camo and then used some oils to pop out the panel lines, seams, and detail. The most educational aspect of this project were the tracks. Dragon provided indivdual links and I've never had the experience of assembling links before. The most difficult aspect of building the tracks was to assemble the sub sections in such a way that when mounted on the road gear the subsections fitted together without leaving gaps. It was a bit tough but the lessons were learned and the next tracked vehicle will certainly benefit from that learning curve.

SdKfz184Dragon631735thLft.jpg

SdKfz184Dragon631735thRight.jpg

Finishing decals this weekend. All it needs is the fiddly bits added and some weathering.

IMG_2568.JPG

David

Edited by DavidF

David, please try to attend the big show in San Antonio in February and bring the Bf with you! It's really looking great!

David, please try to attend the big show in San Antonio in February and bring the Bf with you! It's really looking great!

Thanks Dick. To tell the truth I'm not very happy with the way its turned out. Lots of mistakes hidden behind poor photography. On the other hand I am happy with the way I'm progressing, so looking at it from that perspective I have to say its quite good. This really is a great kit and I'm glad I bought two of them. I'm going to start the second build as soon as this one is finished. If I can learn from my mistakes maybe it will be good enough for me to consider showing. Keep your fingers crossed :D

David

Well, we all are familiar with the small glitches in our own work, but not to worry. If one has fun then the model is a success regardless of the final outcome or the opinions of others.

Still....bring it to the San Antonio show if you get the chance!

On another topic, for anyone who is truely bored I've got an album over on Photobucket showing my completions for 2010.

The URL is http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z295/dmontgomery_photo/2010%20Completions/

I completed 27 models this year, although all are not shown in the album.

3 were 1/72nd aircraft

2 were 1/48th aircraft

1 was a 1/32nd aircraft

2 were armor

10 were spacecraft, all of those were Sci-Fi

3 automotive subjects

4 were "weapons"...6th scale machine guns by Williams Bros

1 Figure

1 Diorama base

5 of those completions were built for an IPMS Review article.

27 completions in one year is the most I've finished since 1978!

I attribute this increase in the average number of completions to several factors:

..... the fact that I'm building for IPMS Reviews (and if you don't get it done one gets "friendly reminders" to get a move on! .... actually one feels a responsibility to move that project along)

..... the fact that my exposure to the different genres of modeling on the IPMS forum have motivated me to move into "undiscovered territory"

..... I am motivated by the Figure guys and Armor guys that I associate with, and

..... I am retired and often can model for hours on end without any significant interruptions.

I also enjoy this "Workbench Saturdays" thread and look forward to adding images and seeing what others are doing.

One of these days we need to set up a given day when everyone sits and builds...chats along the way on this thread and shares images of work in progress......

Good post Dick. I would possibly suggest for the New Year changing the name to something more generic than Saturday since some of us are able to build on other days as well.

Congrats on having built so many this year. I'm still building so my final count won't be ready for a few weeks now. I think I've passed you though....:smiley13::smiley17:

Mark,

I don't believe, at 27 completions for 2010, I'm going to be anywhere in your neighborhood in regard to productivity. I might get back after some WIPs tomorrow but today has been dedicated to cleaning and organizing in the Man Cave. I'm finally getting the workspace cleaned off so I can be more comfortable when working.

I have an F2G by Accu Mini that needs to be finished and that's next on the list. And I have a 1/2 doz or so Figures hanging around that I can always throw some paint at from time to time

Its all fun!

Model building STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! My whole model building day has been one big failure!!!! The tranfers for the M4 Dozer did not apply correctly and it is currently in the booth waiting for the new clear coat to remark it and I am having no luck getting the Verlinden PE tool box to solder together and look presentable. Basically this day has been ruined. The only saving grace has been I sold one of my M110A2 for $53 which will allow be to purchase my Yws if I am lucky.

Good post Dick. I would possibly suggest for the New Year changing the name to something more generic than Saturday since some of us are able to build on other days as well.

I meant for Saturdays to be the posting day for anything you were working on. I'm usually not at the bench on Saturdays either.

Starting the Trumpeter 1/350 Liberty ship for the Battle of the Atlantic GB on Britmodeller.

Here's the build thread with background on the specific ship, SS Virginia Dare.

trumpeter350liberty-10_prepwork_s.jpg

Preparatory work. After some thought, I decided to go full hull, so I made a little balsa workstand. The hull was drilled in two places and 8-32 nuts glued in -- they'll take whatever the permanent mount will be. Right now I just have bamboo sticks to hold it in place & allow me to lift the hull off as needed.

I also scraped off the bilge keels -- they are too short and too wide. The Gold Medal set contains PE replacements.

Other than that, I focused on cutting off the cargo hatches, opening the deck rails in two spots, taking off the 20mm tubs, gun mount rails, watertight doors, and some other things that'll be replaced with either PE or resin -- in short, most the major surgery is done and assembly can start.

So, from here, I'll get the bilge keels on, get the deck pieces glued down and the seams out of all that, then I'll look at a simple, non-scale, scribing of the hull (& deck?) to replicate the plates. While that is going on, I can start working on the two gun platforms and the main cabin structure.

I've also been working on Silverwings' Southampton II, the Academy B-17C/D as a Fortress I, and the WNW RNAS Pup.

This is one of several builds inprogress right now on the bench. Besides the Tiger I (see my Build Log in the Armor forum) this one I am working hard on. It is a Tamiya Sturmtiger. I plan on adding a full interior as well as extras inside and out.

Enjoy

familymodels089.jpg

I actually did some work on a Saturday to comment upon the Workbench Saturday thread! I'm restoring the classic Revell kit, XSL-01 Space Ship. In any restoration one must scratch a missing or broken piece and that is what I did today. The two main rocket exhaust nozzles are gimbled on a crossbrace. One of the legs of that crossbrace was missing. That part was repaired with some sheet plastic and some metal tubing. Mold marks were removed from all of the crossbraces (there are 4) and they were primed and then shot with Model Master Competition Orange. I really like the 50's/60's appearance of that orange. It looka very natural in a "space" venue.

I've wanted to restore this model for a long time and its very enjoyable to see progress being made on a timely basis.

I was spent a very enjoyable 3 hours at the meeting of the Lone Star Figures club. These gents are unbelievably good at what they do and I always learn some technique or skill at each meeting. Today I watched as the presenter demonstrated how to reshade the hands and arms of a 35th scale figure to achieve a more realistic "grip" on the weapon the figure was carrying.

The hands are usually molded in a "carrying water" pose.....with the fingers forming a bowl and the thumb sticking out as if hitchhiking. Using the back sdie of a #11 Xacto blade the palm of the hand is weakened (but not cut through!) and then, soften with a small amount of Tamiya Extra Thin liquid cement. The hand is then squeezed around a gun barrel or other item that the figure might be carrying. This simple technique significantly improves the "real world" appearance of the hands. The arms can be adjusted by weakening the inside bend of the elbow and then realigned by softening the cut line with that same liquid glue.

Easy, fast, and very effective!