Workbench Saturdays!!!!

llcoolray

I use Photobucket to store the image. I then copy the "link" within the photobucket "share" function....and "insert image" here in the forum.

Your use of the smaller clickable images works just fine.

I wonder if the skeleton is the old Visible Man by Renwal...I think it was Renwal that released it back in the day.

The "eye", "heart" and skeleton have all been released several times by different companies....or at least if memory serves...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished along with the Diskhound shown in a previous post, I also completed the Gadfly. Not that anyone can tell, these are advertised as being 1/35th scale or 1/32nd scale....I don't remember.

Anyway, this stuff is fun to build. No attempt was made, by the way, to be true to the paint schemes as would have been seen in the TV series.

The Diskhound and the Gadfly occupied my workbench thru the last Saturday in Sept.

GadlyNitto23010100completed0003.jpg

GadlyNitto23010100completed0001.jpg

Well,

I guess my Workbench can be added here. This is a Friday night build with the fellas. Needed to get paint on it so I can do some more assembly next week. This is the old Nitto Jerry. Hoping to change out the claw (never know why they included that) with a 20mm from the Academy or Italeri M-163.

Jerry.jpg

I use Photobucket to store the image. I then copy the "link" within the photobucket "share" function....and "insert image" here in the forum.

Your use of the smaller clickable images works just fine.

I wonder if the skeleton is the old Visible Man by Renwal...I think it was Renwal that released it back in the day.

The "eye", "heart" and skeleton have all been released several times by different companies....or at least if memory serves...

Yes, Lindberg seems to be stocking those anatomical items at HobbyTown. I've seen the visible man; this one model is skeleton only- no organs.

Mark,

I wonder....do my Diskhound and Gadfly count as "armor"?

Dick,

I could go with the Gadfly as armor but the Diskhound does not attach to the earth therefore I would opt for aircraft!

Mark

Brad,

If you use photobucket or some other website, they show up pretty good. Check out my Achilles build in the Armor section.

Mark

I seem to be having success with Google's Picasa (where I already have an account). When I tried my Box.net account, it didn't do anything. Apparently, they convert images to flash & I couldn't get it to work here. I've retained the thumbnails & just have one full-size from Picasa.

I picked this 1/6 scale motor up recently from Hobby Lobby to build my planning & gluing skills. The info with the box says it's a 1960's bad-ass dragster engine that tore up the raceways. It's a no-paint model with equal mechanical and styrene cementing. You need a jeweler's phillips head for several screw together components. The body is cast iron, so box feels heavy. Revell has a line of 4-5 of these mechanico-styrene engines. Should go fast.

Chevy%20L89.jpg

Edited by bradco

Oopsie...I suggest that you contact the Forum Adm and give him the name of the thread in which these posts are located. Ask him to delete the extras.

Regarding the Diskhound and Gadfly....the Gadfly is more like a helicopter and come to think of it, I can't see any way for it to land.

The Diskhound is definately ground-bound...so I guess I can claim an "armor" completion.

• 2 weeks later...
...The bones seem sterile to me, & I'm wondering if there is a way to "weather" them a little....

FullPreCageBettrLite.jpg

SUGGESTION: Saw a plastic T-Rex skeleton model done by a professional artist, using a sepia/brown wash and a coat of clear flat, or satin, IIRC. It looked great.

Funerals the last two Saturdays have kept me from my bench, but hopefully today I'll be able to get some work done.

I love this thread because it can combine everyone's love of model building into a single thread despite what genre you build. I for one know I usually stick to certain sections of the forum but seeing all these different kits that everyone is working on is really inspiring. Just my thoughts, now back to the bench.

I've got the Cylon Base Star, Viper Mk. II, Tamiya Jeep, and Accu-Mini F2G underway....

Working on the chassis of the Tamiya 35th scale Jeep. It's a relatively easy build for someone who does not dip into the armor stash with regularity....pics soon, once I get to a point at which they would show anything of substance. Some seam work done on a Trumpy F-107A and also the Accu-Mini F2G Miss Port Columbus.

Nothing like modeling while watching NASCAR, football, and baseball!

I'm really enjoying this site and seeing what the rest of the modeling world does. I can even get useful info from cars and planes and trains and boats modelers.

• 1 month later...
I picked this 1/6 scale motor up recently from Hobby Lobby to build my planning & gluing skills. The info with the box says it's a 1960's bad-ass dragster engine that tore up the raceways. It's a no-paint model with equal mechanical and styrene cementing. You need a jeweler's phillips head for several screw together components. The body is cast iron, so box feels heavy. Revell has a line of 4-5 of these mechanico-styrene engines. Should go fast.

Chevy%20L89.jpg

Edited by bradco

QUOTE (VonL @ Oct 15 2010, 09:47 PM) SUGGESTION: Saw a plastic T-Rex skeleton model done by a professional artist, using a sepia/brown wash and a coat of clear flat, or satin, IIRC. It looked great.

Dude, you are intriguing me with your sepia/brown wash. I feel pretty humbled by that suggestion- I think I would have to watch & see it done. No experience with it ...

Here are shots of probably the hardest part of the skeleton: Putting together the halves of the rib cage. I used cyan as cement, yet I've had to repair several ribs that came loose during sanding. I'm trying to render joints invisible after painting. Used Mr. Surfacer 500 as smoothing filler:

Side%20skeletong,%20pre-sanded.jpg

Side%20skeletong%20sander.jpg

Side%20skeleton%20sanded.jpg

01/22/11: Just finished out this old SkillCraft anatomical skeleton (14"). It's diplayed in a doll case. The low lighting works on this subject, but I could use pointers on the nice lighting I see in other pics here. Photos are linked over from a Google Picasa web album:

FrontViewSkeleton.JPG

BackViewSkeleton.JPG

InCaseSkeleton.JPG

BoxArtSkeleton.JPG

Edited by bradco

Saturday workbench activity:

I had the opportunity to work on a Panzer IV (76th Airfix) this Saturday. My intention was to try to "filter" the model. This is a technique new to me and that I wish to learn and the tank was a vendor item I picked up for less than a buck.

Things I learned:

1. Oil and water, or in this case, acrylics do not mix. This is an excellent situation and one the armor and figure guys have known for some time. The base coast was acrylic and the filter was with oils.

2. I didn't filter so much as "wash". I applied way too much paint and learned that one can remove a great deal of the oil paint and still get a very nice weathered effect. Turpentine does not attack the underlying acrylic so its rather easy to correct the "too much paint" problem after oils have been applied.

3. I like working with acrylics. The "thinner" doesn't stink to high heaven. I like working with oils since they actually blend, but ventilation is important.

4. I have no idea what the "real" colors are for a desert Panzer IV but I'm sure if I ever show this model at a club meeting I'll find out. Historical accuracy wasn't important since this was a technique learning experience. The plans called for a sandy brown.....

5. I don't like working on roadwheels.

6. I don't like working on tracks.

7. Repetition is important when trying to acquire a new skill. As soon as the Panzer IV is finished I have a 35th jeep that will be the next "learning experience".

The tracks were all that remained to be done by mid-day on Saturday and didn't take as long to paint and assemble as I thought. I finished the model in mid-evening and attached it to a base. Although I'll probably scratch some armor skirts for it to hide the terrible connection points for the tracks, it is, for all intents and purposes, a finished project. I wanted to practice a new (to me) set of techniques and I did that and am now ready to move to a larger scale and to apply what I've learned to another model project.

Here are some images I took this morning of the Panzer.

PanzerIVAirfix02308787thrtsidecomplete.jpg

PanzerIVAirfix02308787threarcomplete.jpg

PanzerIVAirfix02308787thlftsidecomplete.jpg

The EB members were issued an "Armor Challenge" a few months ago, so this project will be added to the Challenge/Group Build album. The album can be viewed at http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/Challeng...d+Group+Builds/

Wow! That looks great! I especially like the spinner. I find that particular aspect of painting difficult. This is really a great looking project! Be sure to bring it to San Antonio's annual show in February! Its a Regional Convention, btw.

I look forward to seeing this "build" progress!