1st attempt freehand 1/72nd scale

Don Flynn

Can't wait to see this one done. Fine Molds?

Of course, I cornered the market on those :P

I'm wanting to get it done by your show, if I do just hand me my trophy at the door :P

Edited by Don Flynn

Hi, Don,

I like how you are trying to match the spray pattern from the photo onto your model. You are very close. Did you lightly trace the line in pencil on the model before covering it in paint? Now the big question: What does the other side look like; do you have a photo for that, too?

I wasn't aware that the Germans invented hand-held aerosol spray paint cans. :P

Ed

Hi, Don,

I like how you are trying to match the spray pattern from the photo onto your model. You are very close. Did you lightly trace the line in pencil on the model before covering it in paint? Now the big question: What does the other side look like; do you have a photo for that, too?

I wasn't aware that the Germans invented hand-held aerosol spray paint cans. :P

Ed

Hey Ed,

No tracing, I just starting shooting with 1 airbrush RLM71 then going back and touching up as needed with another loaded with RLM 76.

No photo of the starboard side the plane I want to do, I don't have a photo of it at all (that's a Emil in the pic I posted for the Bf 109 challanged :P ), I'm doing one from the Errormaster sheet

http://www.squadron.com/ProfileDetails.asp?item=EP72070

A/C 4 that sheet. I do have pics of other JG 54 birds starboard side so I'm doing the ol "Luftguessimatte" thing. Just doing it this scale is something I seldom see people do so I had to try :P

It's looking good Don...what type paint and airbrush set up are you using?

Mike

Aeromaster enamels, I've a large stash of them :P

The RLM 71 (green) I used a Grex pistol grip style airbrush, for the RLM76 touch up I used a Sotar 20/20. I run a dual rig so I can use 2 airbrushes at 1 time, help alot when I do Luft mottle work

Excellent airbrushing! It's patterns like that one that have dampened my enthusiasm for building more Luftwaffe types. You're off to a great start and I look forward to seeing more progress!

GIL :smiley16:

I actually started doing 1/72nd scale Luft stuff cuz 1/48th was getting so easy (yeah, I've got myself fooled there :P )

Ok, Day 2 of torturing myself

391753079.jpg

391753039.jpg

I shot the right side striping then toned both sides down a tad figuring glosscoat darkens paint.

I then got frisky and did the RLM 02 mottle. Starboard side I can live with, port there are 2 areas bugging me I'll need to redo the strip then the mottle. I'll have to let paint dry overnite first.

I kind of wish I had waiting to tone both the RLM 71 and 02 at the same time but it'll have to do there.

After I fix the areas I mentioned I'll do the basic camo during the week. I figured it would be easier this way....I hope :P

Another nice 109 CD. Very nice job on a complicated paint scheme. I also like your idea on using two brushes at a time to get the scheme right. I may try that with my next model if the need is there. I bought one of the Grex brushes at the Phoenix Nats. I have to get comfortable using it.

Another nice 109 CD. Very nice job on a complicated paint scheme. I also like your idea on using two brushes at a time to get the scheme right. I may try that with my next model if the need is there. I bought one of the Grex brushes at the Phoenix Nats. I have to get comfortable using it.

Getting the paint thinned with a Grex is the main thing, I need to run it a tad thinner than I normally mix my paints.

Dual hookup for the compresser I got at a hardware store

Latest work on this one

392008808.jpg

392008720.jpg

"Base camo" is done, all I need to do is mask and paint RLM 04 (that's yellow for you non Luftwaffe types :P ) then gloss, highlite and the like.

I need to shoot white 1st as a base for the yellow so it'll be a few days before that's done. The camo really helped the look of the striping in my mind real-time....glad I toned it down now

Very nice Don. I assume we will see this done at Cinci?

Not a chance, it takes me a couple weeks to shoot gloss and highlight panel lines then decal.

I'm hoping your show but won't rush it...it's looking to nice to mess up now

I'm hoping your show but won't rush it...it's looking to nice to mess up now

The watched pot never boils,

The watched paint never dries.

The watched grass always grows.

The watched model never gets finished.

The watched modeler always grows older.

Hmmm . . .

Ed

I learned 1 thing over the years, never build a model for a contest on a deadline. My rule is if it ain't done 1 week before a show let it go...screwed up too many models years ago doing the 2 am nite before rush. I gots enough awards :P

I learned 1 thing over the years, never build a model for a contest on a deadline. My rule is if it ain't done 1 week before a show let it go...screwed up too many models years ago doing the 2 am nite before rush. I gots enough awards :P

Amen, amen, amen.

Latest work on this one

392179297.jpg

392179283.jpg

I airbrushed the RLM 04 over the weekend, after shooting white as a base. Next step is painting wingtip lights and pitot tube tip and I'll be ready for gloss and a light panel line wash

My eyes!! My eyes!!! :D

Wow, the gelb areas really stand out at this point. I know that they will not look so bright when you finish the model. Still looks really great CD. Keep us in the loop.