Williams Bros. Group Build

Dick Montgomery

I've had this kit since dinosaurs wandered the earth and just finished it earlier this week. I like Williams Bros. kits in general and this one is no exception. The kit is in 32nd scale but is smaller in length and wingspan than an average 48th scale fighter. Tiny aircraft!

GeeBeeR1WilliamsBrothers3271132ndCompleted0003.jpg

GeeBeeR1WilliamsBrothers3271132ndCompleted0002.jpg

GeeBeeR1WilliamsBrothers3271132ndCompleted0001.jpg

Wow.....you should have taken the picture at night or in total darkness! Crud, I think I am now blind!!!! Love the colors though! REALLY bright!

Mark

Mark,

Spoken like a true treadhead! If its not in various shades of brown or gray then its too bright!

That's funny!

The Granville Bros designed another Gee Bee racer, the Z model. It is in black and yellow with the same basic scalloped paint job. Perhaps that one would not require sunglasses to view.

I had to go away from acyrlics for the Gee Bee. I used the Gunze Mr. Color Red and White paints and was very pleasantly surprises at the ease of use and the superior coverage that they provide.

I've also done the Williams Bros Autogyro and the four machine gun kits they've had on the markert for many years.

Fun stuff!

Both the Z and the WW are very nice! I note that the Z has red triim between the black and yellow....ugh! That makes it one tough paint sheme!

I might give the WW a shot since its much more straightforward and still generates a classy looking model!

Got any other Williams Bros stuff?

Again, apologies to Mark...he must have a terrible headache now with all these bright and shiny flying thingies being posted.

And not only does he (Wildcat) do great work, he builds at a blinding pace. He builds more in a month that I've build in the last two years. Maybe three.

Gents,

How about a Williams Bros Model Photo Album? If you'll email the pics to me (ipmspresident@ipmsusa.org) I'll see that an album is created to feature finished Williams Bros products built by IPMS members.

Great model Dick. Yes, Williams Brothers kits are fun. I had that kit for many years until I finally decided that I probably would not build any 1/32 scale models. I still have the Gamma and World Cruiser kits.

Photo coming.

The Gamma is a great looking aircraft but I was not very skilled when I built it many years ago. I have the Douglas World Cruiser ubt its not on my "to be built" radar as of yet.

I'm really stunned at the quality of the models we're seeing in this thread, but then IPMS has some of the best modelers in the country within its ranks.

Anybody tackle one of the "engines" that Williams Bros produced?

Both the Z and the WW are very nice! I note that the Z has red triim between the black and yellow....ugh! That makes it one tough paint sheme!

I might give the WW a shot since its much more straightforward and still generates a classy looking model!

Got any other Williams Bros stuff?

Again, apologies to Mark...he must have a terrible headache now with all these bright and shiny flying thingies being posted.

Proceed with a lot of caution on the Wedell Williams kit. The decals (at least in my boxing) left A LOT of masking to the builder:

gilmore_ip1%20001.JPG

gilmore_ip1%20003.JPG

Edited by Wildcat

Guys,

I've received a pile of images of Williams Bros kits and am now populating an album (over on the New Gallery) area with these pics. The album is not yet visible to the viewing public. As soon as I work out some of the organizational structure within the album I'll go "live" with it.

When that happens...hopefully within a week or so, I'll let you know by posting within this thread. Some very cool looking stuff!

Well now... got some work done on the album and its now ready for viewing. You'll see two different kinds of presentations within the album. In the case of a single picture of a particular subject, that pic will be displayed as a "page" within the album. In the case of multiple pics, wips, etc., that subject will be displayed as a "chapter" and clicking on that "chapter" will open it to reveal the entire set of images for that wip or subject.

Go to the New Gallery page.

Go to the Box Art Gallery

Scroll until you see the Williams Bros. Album

Ta dah!

Now, as additional pics come to me (and I hope they do!) I can add them to the existing album, or I can change the organization of the album to make viewing and browsing a bit easier.

If you have a wip (work in progress) please consider shooting thos images to me via email and they can be added to the album.

Well now... got some work done on the album and its now ready for viewing. You'll see two different kinds of presentations within the album. In the case of a single picture of a particular subject, that pic will be displayed as a "page" within the album. In the case of multiple pics, wips, etc., that subject will be displayed as a "chapter" and clicking on that "chapter" will open it to reveal the entire set of images for that wip or subject.

Go to the New Gallery page.

Go to the Box Art Gallery

Scroll until you see the Williams Bros. Album

Ta dah!

Now, as additional pics come to me (and I hope they do!) I can add them to the existing album, or I can change the organization of the album to make viewing and browsing a bit easier.

If you have a wip (work in progress) please consider shooting thos images to me via email and they can be added to the album.

Guess I am as dumb as a post 'cause I get here:

http://ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/box_art_albu...1_32nd.jpg.html

and I don't see anything except the box covers. (Which I didn't even know the site had, so at least thanks for that).

I neglected to change the status of the album to "visible". D'oh!

It is now viewable and can be found at:

Gallery

Box Art

Williams Bros....blah, blah.

Hi, Michael,

A question about the WW posted above: The blue masking tape obviously wrinkled as you bent it tightly around the outlines of the wings and tail. How do you prevent paint from bleeding under and into those wrinkles that you will not discover until you remove the tape? I've fought this problem for years without a successful resolution on various projects, including a GMC General truck.

Ed

Hi, Michael,

A question about the WW posted above: The blue masking tape obviously wrinkled as you bent it tightly around the outlines of the wings and tail. How do you prevent paint from bleeding under and into those wrinkles that you will not discover until you remove the tape? I've fought this problem for years without a successful resolution on various projects, including a GMC General truck.

Ed

The paint goes on the outside edge of the wing. I use the 3M blue painters tape cut into strips with a straightedge on a piece of glass. I press the tape down as I go along and don't have a problem with bleed under. What isn't shown in that WIP shot is that I use more tape to fill in to prevent overspray. I hope this answers your question. If not let me know.

I use that same 3M blue tape and like it very much. Its easy to work with and has just the right amt of "stick".

I tried Frisket paper for the first time on the Gee Bee. Its a bit tougher to work with than the tape.

I ended up using the Frisket to cover most of the white and smoothed out the curved edges with some of the blue tape.

No problems anywhere and when one is working with a white/red surface any under/over spray will be a real problem.

Thanks, guys,

I see that the outside radius is sealed down all the way around. If the inside is then masked over, the wrinkles are not a problem. I use a lot of the 3M blue painter's masking tape. I just used a whole roll last week on a room that used to be my model room so I could repaint it. I use it on models, too. Care and patience seem to be the rule.

Ed

Hi, Gil,

Part of the problem was that I HAD spent 23 years in that room spray painting it with a Binks Wren, a Badger, and an Iwata. Now that the room and house in question are for sale, it needed a heavy coat of primer and then color applied with a brush and roller to make it a cosmetic stunner again. SWMBO and the realtor made me do it...honest! :rolleyes:

Ed