Help with painting without a turn table

burner12

What is the best way to paint a piece using an airbrush if you don't have a turn table?

Make one. Cardboard, a bolt, washers, plywood for the base. I use this and just discrd the cardboard "spinner" disk when it gets to much paint on it. I can also paint several objects on different disks, leaving the object on the disk to dry and move so I can put on another disk for the next item.

EJ

What is the best way to paint a piece using an airbrush if you don't have a turn table?

I've never used a turntable in my years of modeling--I usually devise a method to hold the model while I paint it. I've used pencils in tailpipes of jets, I've used masking tape loops to hold a car body to the top of a spray can, I've bent up wire that I insert into the landing gear sockets, or, lacking anything else, I'll use the Mk. I hand (suitably protected with a nitrile or latex glove of course).

After you've been airbrushing for a while, you'll develop methods of your own.

R

I've never used a turntable in my years of modeling--I usually devise a method to hold the model while I paint it. I've used pencils in tailpipes of jets, I've used masking tape loops to hold a car body to the top of a spray can, I've bent up wire that I insert into the landing gear sockets, or, lacking anything else, I'll use the Mk. I hand (suitably protected with a nitrile or latex glove of course).

After you've been airbrushing for a while, you'll develop methods of your own.

R

Hadn't thought of that. Right now the only turntable I have is my mom's who uses it for cooking. So don't want to get paint on it. But a plastic cheap one would be great.

Depending on what you paint, you can use the cardboard idea set on top of a masking tape roll. It is only as expensive as you imagination and wallet.

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Most often I have to use my hand. A three foot model doesn't work on a turn table very well. Anything small goes on a turn table. I have some latex gloves, but never can seem to remember to use them. You can tell what I've been painting by the color of my hands.

Les,

Sometimes the gloves don't even work. I get to free handing and end up spraying past the model, the glove and unto my wrist. Ya just can't win.

Mark

I don't use a turn table either. I use many things. A block of wood (piece of a 2x4) with the model sitting on it, turn as you spray. Also I hang a small piece of wire from the top of my spray both. Hang the model off of it, you can turn it as you need and it stays in place.

Chris

Mark,

How in the world do you get paint on your wrist???? I've gotten it on shirts, pants and hands but never up my arm. You must be a wild man with an airbrush. Your wife probably wishes that you used the same color on the models as there is on the walls. I can only visualize the inside of your painting area. :o

It's easy to get paint in lots of strange places when the filled color cup on your airbrush comes loose and falls to the floor, but only after bouncing off the model, the table, your hand as you try to catch it, your leg, and then the floor. The various splatter patterns would give a CSI fits (not to mention the wife if she sees the mess before it is cleaned up). :(

Ed

It's easy to get paint in lots of strange places when the filled color cup on your airbrush comes loose and falls to the floor, but only after bouncing off the model, the table, your hand as you try to catch it, your leg, and then the floor. The various splatter patterns would give a CSI fits (not to mention the wife if she sees the mess before it is cleaned up). :(

Ed

Way to go Ed! Best laugh I've had this week! :smiley20::smiley17: