Micro Mask

phantomordie

Any reviews for Micro Mask?

I prefer some of the other products on the market. I found that Micro Mask was a little harder to remove than some others and it dries a little clearer and thus makes it a little harder to see where the mask is when dry.

- From personal experience I have never preferred Micro Mask over other products (like Canopy Mask, Super Mask, Magic Mask, or Miracle Mask). Micro Mask applies well, dries well, and I always thought it was translucent enough to see through it to cut canopy frames well enough. But that is where my preference stops. It is one of the more difficult liquid masks to cut through on the first "pass" of a cutting tool, even when using a new scalpel blade and it often requires another pass or two to get thru it (I find scalpels MUCH sharper than even new X-actos).

- The next criteria where it lets me down is when I pull the cut areas off where I want to apply paint. Even after meticulous cutting, there will always be that little corner that you want to stay down, but ends up pulling up slightly as you remove the portion you want to take off. All of the other masks that I noted were very forgiving in that you could gently press the corner back into place that you wanted to stay down and.....it stayed down. IMHO Micro Mask notoriously does not stick back down anywhere near as good as the other masks. And that usually results in over spray on the corners when you airbrush your colors. The good news is that if you catch the over spray soon enough and before you gloss or flat coat, you can quite often gently scrub the offending over spray with a tooth pick and it comes right off.

- Also, I find Micro Mask to be more stiffer and less rubbery and flexible then the other Masks noted.

- Unfortunately, EVERY one of the masks I have listed have all gone off the market. About 5 years ago I was able to make contact with the fellow that produced Miracle Mask and he was willing to mix up a batch and sell a minimum of 10 bottles of it. That works if ya got a few friends that are interested in acquiring a bottle of it also. But each of my bottles would usually last a couple of years and I could only get use of no more than 3 bottles before it would turn to goo!

- So, there's my 2 or 3 cents. Hope it helps

Edited by Weedeater

I'm not much of a fan of uni-taskers... :smiley21:

I use white Elmer's glue...cheap and multifunctional! :smiley20:

• 1 month later...
I've tried using Elmer's but find it hard to move around and it start's sitting up too quickly. How thin do you make it?

Interesting- It's been my thought that it doesn't set up quickly enough. I used to have issues with trying to get it into corners because of its natural viscosity, but using the eye end of a sewing needle and VERY gently prodding it into corners usually works. Thinning it even slightly with water or airbrush medium makes it flow into corners very quickly, but it also makes it so runny that it takes forever to set up, even using a hairdryer. This is supposed to be fun, and fighting with canopies took all the fun out of it. As much as I love aircraft, canopies are such a PITA that I have gone to other subjects so I don't have to deal with them.

Edited by Disco58

Add a drop of liquid dish detergent to the Elmers. It breaks the surface tension and makes it easier to move around and it makes it spread better and stay where you put it.