New to the Forum

robertmelvin

Greetings, ladies and gents,

I'm new to the Forum and wanted to introduce myself. I'm returning to modeling after well more than 30 years away from the hobby. Last year I suffered a catastrophic injury to my left leg and after a long recuperation discovered that I needed to find a less strenuous hobby. I was an avid modeller years ago but drifted away from the hobby (cars, girls, beer, girls.....you get the idea). A few months ago I stumbled on some modeling web sites while surfing the net and it was like meeting up with an old love. It didn't take long for the flame to be rekindled. Kind of like meeting an old flame after many years and finding that the spark is still there.

I was pleasantly shocked to see how far the hobby has progressed. Back in the day it was $2.00 to $3.00 dollar kits from the five and dime (showing my age for sure). No photo-etch, after market detail kits, and of course, no internet sites or vendors where you could shop the whole world, not just the local hobby shop or department store.

I've spent the last couple of months acquiring the tools and supplies I think I need to get started again. Experience has taught me that the proper tools and equipment make anything easier, and more fun and satisfying. I have to admit that I've let myself splurge on a lot of things I couldn't afford before - even if they had existed. Now I have my tools and supplies at hand and I'm read to start my first build in many years. When I was modeling years ago my interest was in WW 2 U.S. Naval ships and I have found that hasn't changed. My first build will be the Italieri 1/35 L.C.V.P., which I hope to start this week - work and the wife permitting.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the folks on this forum and, if my builds make the grade, to sharing some of my builds with you. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions and I've been impressed by how willing everybody here seems to be to share tips and tricks of the trade.

So, there you have it. I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet and learning all the new techniques and how to get the most of the new developments in the hobby. And, looking forward to being a part of this great community!

Bob

Ahoy Bob! Welcome aboard the forum. Lots of us built models when we were young and then drifted away only to return in our adult years, so you'll find you're right at home! Have fun and don't be shy about asking questions or posting pics of your models when you get them built! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16: