Battlestar Galactica Group Build

SteveV22FE

In the post above I showed you the floor plan for the BSG Launch Bay. This plan is drawn to the scale of the Monogram Colonial Viper, which is 1/36 scale, not the generalized 1/32 scale everyone uses. Actually, 1/35 scale military figures work quite nicely with this kit. I determined the scale from the studio scale set plans for the 1:1 Viper prop, specifically the horizontal dimension between the centers of the two lower engines when compared to the same dimension's location on the model. I designed a custom ruler scaled to 1/36, which was easily accomplished with a drafting set and parallel lines--i.e, geometry.

All these drawings were created over 20 years ago when videotape was the only reference medium available. DVD's were in the future, certainly mine. I taped as many episodes as I could find on the SciFi Channel to create a video library. The studio set plans provided the basic dimensions, and the rest of the details were drawn from observations of freeze frames on the TV screen. I used the internet years later to find and download still photos of the sets (link was recently on this DF), which showed how close my drawings are.

The next two plan sheets show elevations of the walls and/or structure of a single bay. Again, these are in 1/36 scale so they can become masters for cutting materials later.

BSG3.jpg

BSG4.jpg

The launch catapult and end piece are vital to a Viper's entrance into the launch tube. There is a lot of repetitive detail on these items. The basic structural shapes were covered with applied vacuform panels that were artistically arranged to look meaningful and busy. These same stock shapes from the master patterns were used throughout BSG's sets in differing arrangements.

BSG6.jpg

There was an elevator in each bay for the pilot and deck personnel to use to and from other areas of the ship. According to the studio set plans, the elevator box was lifted up and down by a forklift stationed behind the wall. I'll pretend there was some other mechanism raising and lowering the box.

BSG5.jpg

The cockpit was a special challenge because the Monogram Viper model completely ignored this detail. The canopy windows were solid plastic in body color. I cut mine open to see how easy or difficult that process might be. I was able to fill the small top window with Krystal Klear, but that could not possibly work on the larger window openings. The instruments were shown in brief one-second or less clips sprinkled throughout the episodes, with different closeups used as necessary for the particular function needed. I wanted a panoramic view so I could build my own accurate cockpit with all switches, buttons, and displays. When you look at the following sketch, you can see side notes for the various displays. Those notes are the actual words and numbers used on the panels and switches as best I could see them in freeze frame mode. The DVD's are easier to read today than the VHS tapes back then. That said, the 30th Anniversary cockpit is sorta close, but not dead on.

BSG7.jpg

All of this drafting work led to a mockup to see if it looks like it should. The Viper is an original issue just taped together. The catapult is not made up, so a 9-volt battery was a simple stand-in for height off the deck. The floor plan is the actual floor of the mockup.

BSG8.jpg

BSG9.jpg

BSG10.jpg

From the launch bay, the Viper enters the launch tube through an opening in the front wall. The Monogram kit actually fits through the opening without interference. The opening was scaled from the studio set plans, which apparently were accurate. Note the hole in the nose cap for the rubber band fired solid torpedo missile (which made this an unsafe toy for children as an eye and swallowing hazard). Note: My original rubber band from Monogram has dried and shattered into fragments, so it is no longer dangerous.

BSG11.jpg

So all of this is just the starting point for a diorama. Will it be done in time?

Ed

Edited by ewahl

The Launch Bay looks very nice, I can't wait to see it finished.

Now for some bad news, early this morning one of my book cases decided to shed three selves along with the many books. All landed on top of three in progress models and one of them is my new Viper!! The nose gear has been broken off but I didn't have time to look for the gear as I had to go to work. So right now, it looks like that it'll be repairable, unlike my 1/35th Italeri WC-64 US Ambulance, that thing was crushed!!

Ed,

Like your idea. Here are some pics I took at the local show a few years ago for some inspiration.

P4264466.JPG

P4264473.JPG

P4264474.JPG

I would have loved to pick up some of the 72nd kits but those prices are waaay out of my league.

I actually have the 30th Annv Viper in my for sale pile.

Will be watching this one with interest.

That's a very nice job on the scene as a whole, and on the Viper. One can hear the clank of tools and smell the fuel and oil....

Tim, that shelf collapse was nature's way of clearing some space (get it? its a play on "space" words) for your BSB project!

Gee thanks Dick for the comforting words B) .Wanna come up & help me clean up the mess?

Gee thanks Dick for the comforting words B) .Wanna come up & help me clean up the mess?

What Mother Nature wrought let no Man set aganist lest the same fate befall ye.

Excuse me while I now go check on the shelving brackets and supports in my display case.

Hi, Phil,

Thank you very much for the photos of the BSG diorama. I printed them to file with my other research data. I would very much like to know the source of the figures used in the diorama--officers, warriors, and deck crew. Were they converted from something else, or were they sold for this specific use in the BSG world? Are they still available? I am in need of figures.

I love the action on the launch bay diorama. While the main characters from the series are all standing around and talking to each other, the deck crew has all the action. The rolling stair and platform unit replicates the item used on the show and would be a scratchbuilt item. The service cart and tractor were never in the show, but they add much to the visual interest of the scene. The open panels on the Viper and the launch catapult show great creativity and attention to details. The only thought that strikes me wrong is that the deck crew would never perform this level of service on a front-line fighter while it is on the launch rails, thus depriving the catapult to a Viper that is on alert and ready to go. The crew would be doing this maintenance/repair work in the maintenance area of the hangar bay. Thanks again to the unnamed builder.

Hi, Tim,

I had an entire stack of National Geographics (at least 10 years of issues) tip over and wipe out my Revell Hornet plus Three recovery aircraft carrier for the Apollo missions. All I have left in the spares box are a few deck aircraft and the Apollo command capsule from that disaster. Nothing else could be salvaged.

Ed

Got a few more pics starting here

From what I remember, most of the Warrior uniformed figures were modified from the Millennia Models International figures. The ground crew were either Preiser or auto or military figures he modified, can't remember.

There is a guy making things for the New Viper kit but they could be used with the older stuff.

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=83831

And some other stuff that may help.

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=86153

Please be reminded that if you send your wip pics and finished project pics to me I'll get a Battlestar Galactica Album up and running.

Send via email, or if you have quite a few I can provide you with a method to provide the images without resorting to email and attachments.

I unboxed the Cylon Base Star and checked out the fit of the saucer pieces....and much to my displeasure there will be considerable work along those upper and lower saucer joint lines. Oh well. It'll be fun once I get beyond that part of the assembly.

Hi, Dick,

Start by taping a 2-foot square of 150 grit sandpaper to something rigid and flat (like the top of your wife's wash machine lid) and wet sand those saucer pieces down to get to pointed launch overruns. Monogram had to make those blunt to avoid the "dangerous sharp toy" lists.

Thanks for starting a BSG build album. I can e-mail the photos I posted above.

Ed

unlike my 1/35th Italeri WC-64 US Ambulance, that thing was crushed!!

Tim,

Dude....You are a model builder...YOU CAN FIX ANYTHING!!!!

Mark :smiley20:

I'm working my way around the circumference with some metal files, knocking off the overlaps and sharpening the edges up (stupid "dangerous sharp toy list"!) and will actually keep some of the overlap and use it as "detail". Its not hard...just very time consuming. Since there is so little in this kit in the way of detail parts...or even parts for that matter, the paint job will have to be done to pop out the surface molding. I foresee lots of gray paint in various shades in my future.

As for pics...you guys can send those to me attached to an email, or if you wish, I can set you up with a temporary method to upload your own pics to the server where I can then grab them and drop them into the proper place on the album website. Doing so will allow you to send any size image and large numbers of images whenever you wish without worrying about email.

Hi, Dick,

Start by taping a 2-foot square of 150 grit sandpaper to something rigid and flat (like the top of your wife's wash machine lid) and wet sand those saucer pieces down to get to pointed launch overruns. Monogram had to make those blunt to avoid the "dangerous sharp toy" lists.

Thanks for starting a BSG build album. I can e-mail the photos I posted above.

Ed

Moebius Mk II Viper Build Topic...All updated will be added to this topic

Pilot

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

Viper Progress....I built a duplicate stand like my Mk. I Viper for this Mk. II. I just like my stands better.

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4312.jpgIMG_4313.jpg

I've done some Moebius stuff and I like it! Nothing like a Viper model to brighten one's day.

• 1 month later...

Another set of images has been added to the Battle Star Galactica album.

To get to the album go to

Gallery

Box Art

Battlestar Galactica

So far we have Vipers, and hopefully we'll get some other spacecraft shortly.

If you have some images to contribute please contact me.

How does the Galactica look? I'm thinking about getting it but haven't made up my mind yet. Just how long is the puppy? It'll help me figure out if I can fit it in the display case.

Thanks,

How does the Galactica look? I'm thinking about getting it but haven't made up my mind yet. Just how long is the puppy? It'll help me figure out if I can fit it in the display case.

Thanks,

Roughly piecing it together, I'd say it's about 17-18 inches long and 7-8 inches wide.

• 1 month later...

Images of Tom Walker's illuminated Colonial Viper are now in the album at http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/Challenge+Builds+and+Group+Builds/Battlestar+Galactica+Build/.

Check out the lighting in the cockpit and exhaust nozzles.