Stegosaurus!

PaulD

Built from the Tamiya kit. As molded the kit has a rather boring posture with no side to side bends. I fixed this by cutting wedges from one side of the fuselage and inserting them into notches on the other side to get a sinuous look. I think that it makes him look like he is going somewhere. He is painted with artist's oils. I used woodland scenics ground foam for the moss, bits of wire for the horsetails, I used sprigs of juniper to represent the auracaria-like plants. The cycad body is an alder seed cone, the cycad cones are alder pollen cones, and the cycad fronds are pressed leaves of western yarrow. To represent rotted wood, I cleverly used bits of rotted wood. I think that it needs some ferns, but I haven't figured out how to make them yet.

Stego_f.jpg

Stego_p.jpg

Stego_s.jpg

Edited by PaulD

...... I fixed this by cutting wedges from one side of the fuselage and inserting them into notches on the other side to get a sinuous look.

Yes, I totally agree with Mark, this is way cool. And I love that you spiced-up an old Tamiya mold with the "fuselage" modification. Paul, you have shown your true "aircraft modeler" colors with that one, LOL. And in further agreement with Mark, I too am thinking about pully one of my Dinos outta the stash to work on, after seeing this little gem. Thanks for sharing it. :smiley20:

The Tamiya Dinosaurs are very nice kits. Easy to assemble and they offer sufficient skin detail to do some nice shading and highlighting. The Triceratops is my fav but I've got the T-Rex, Steggie, and Tops all built up and on display.

Good job on yours!

• 3 weeks later...

Paul,

Just got the most recent OHMS Newsletter. Did not even realize you were in my neck of the woods. Are you going to be at McMinnville and have this baby on the tables?

Mark

Edited by Mark Aldrich

• 3 weeks later...
Great model> I wonder if some ^%#$ will come up and tell the builder they got the colors all wrong. :D

Or worse, that the colors/markings more closely represent a roosting male and that the kit as molded, more accurately represents a female!? :smiley7: But seriously, awesome rendition Paul. Love it!

David,

I actually wanted to tell him that!! (typically smart deirere self) I need to be more proactive on finding people. The model was there and I knew who to ask for I just didn't have the testicles to go up to the answer and page him.

Mark

Edited by Mark Aldrich

... :smiley20: ...Congratulations mate Paulden. I'm glad you're interested in dinosaurs and I like the dinosaur that has worked.

Greetings ... Jorge :smiley20:

• 5 months later...

Ray Rimmell the ex editor of the British Scale Models Magazine wrote a book on building Dinosaur kits approx 7 or 8 years ago (I think).

Thought this might be of general interest to dinosaur modellers. Don't know who the publisher was though. Possibly Kalmbach?

Ray edits and publishes the Windsock magazine devoted to WW1 aircraft. It may be worth a look on his website if he has one..