Bath for Resin parts

802chrisg

This is a tip that was on Track licks by Jim Wechsler. JIm hope you do not mind if I post this here, but this tip is to good to not share.

Thanks,

Chris Graeter

Taking a Bath

I’m sure that those of you who have built resin kits and conversions know this trick. But for those of you who haven’t, I highly recommend you soak the resin parts in a bath of hot water (just below boiling).

As you can see, I stole one of my wife’s baking trays and filled it using the kitchen sink’s instant hot. Alternatively, you can bring a pot of water to a boil, wait a couple minutes and then dump in all the resin.

Then I will simply let it cool to room temperature. After that, I’ll take out all the parts and let them dry.

Why do this? Simple, it’s quite common for resin castings to warp a bit as they are removed from the mold. But most resins have ‘memory’ of the original shape and if you heat them up and let them cool, a lot of the warping will go away.

I don’t know if there is any warping in these parts but I’ve found it to be a good idea to do this regardless. It’s a small time sacrifice to avoid a bigger hassle later.

Edited by 802chrisg