Tiger-I Build Log

802chrisg

Hi everyone,

This is my latest build on the bench. I thought that it would be fun to share the progress of the build as it progresses. The kit is the 1/35 scale Tamyia Tiger-I, I'm building the "late" version. Will be adding PE, PE zimmerit, Turned metal Barriel and MG's, and lots of other stuff.

tigerI001.jpg

Ok here we go>

Hi everyone,

This is my latest build on the bench. I thought that it would be fun to share the progress of the build as it progresses. The kit is the 1/35 scale Tamyia Tiger-I, I'm building the "late" version. Will be adding PE, PE zimmerit, Turned metal Barriel and MG's, and lots of other stuff.

tigerI001.jpg

Ok here we go>

Very Nice Kit, I just wish that I would of added the Cavalier Zimmerit instead of the PE.

If it's not too late, get the Atak zimmerit for the Tiger. I've used the stuff on a couple of models and swear by it.

Mark

Ok here is the Hull started. I have applied the Eduard PE zimmerit and have started to apply some of the PE as well as the kit parts. No real fit problems so far. I did have to scratch build the wire for the headlight. Also note the shackels. They work like the real thing. Bolt goes thru and the nut threads on. Pretty Neat.

tigerIturrethull8-21-10040.jpg

tigerIturrethull8-21-10039.jpg

tigerIturrethull8-21-10038.jpg

Edited by 802chrisg

If it's not too late, get the Atak zimmerit for the Tiger. I've used the stuff on a couple of models and swear by it.

Mark

Yep, to late. I have never used the Atak zimmerit. Will have to try it. Thanks

Chris

Since I was appling the PE zimmerit, I went ahead and continued on to the turret. The barrel is a Four piece turned aluminum and brass set from JB models. I did have to add putty in some areas were the zimmerit goes that was not covered by the PE.

tigerIturrethull8-21-10042.jpg

tigerIturrethull8-21-10041.jpg

Edited by 802chrisg

Looks great, where did you get those shackels from?

Thanks, I just noticed from my pictures that I installed the commanders MG mount backwards. Will need to fix that. I may just improve it and make it out of brass rod.

The shackels, barrel, MG barrels, Tow cable resin/wire come from JB Models. Here is a link.

http://www.jbmodel.eu/

OK, from an aircraft guy that has dipped his toes into the dark side of modeling on a few occasions, this Tiger build is looking very intriguing. I have numerous versions of Panzer IV's, including four different releases of the H (Italeri, Old Tamiya, New Tamiya and Dragon pre-Zimmerit). I also have three different Zimmerit sets (Eduard PE, Tamiya's PE which I think is Eduard, and a resin cast set) for the H and haven't mustered up the courage to try either of them or just simply apply the putty with tools (which I also have) trick. I'll be watching your build progress to see how I like the PE variant. Thanks for sharing this build Chris.

Edited by Weedeater

Thanks for the motavation to start an armor project with p.e. zimmeret. I got back from the Nats in Phoenix and was looking for a new project and I have a 1/48 Tamyia Stug III G with p.e. zim. So I'm interested in what you like and don't like about the zim. I haven't started glueing anything yet, still compairing the p.e. zim. instructions with the p.e. update set instructions to the plastic kit instructions. So if you were going to zim the tiger all over again, knowing what you do now, would you do anything different? "Tell us your secrets, ve haff ways of makeing you talk." :P

Thanks..... G.L.

Ken,

Thanks, I will be posting as I go along. This week I have been very busy at work so not much progress to report.

Gary,

I usually use putty to add zimmerit. Edaurd had this set for the Tamiya kit. I have never used PE zimmerit before so I just had to try. Make sure that you have a good vented space when applying the PE. The large sections of PE require a lot of CA glue and I almost passed out from the vapors. Burns the eyes too.

I do like the product. The scale is pretty close to scale. Something that is hard to achieve with putty. There are some areas that still require putty. The joints were the sheets of PE come togther and several spots around the Gun mantel. The large section of PE that had to be applied around the turret was a pain in the butt. Use lots of clamps. Overall I am really happy so far. The next test is to see how it looks painted up. Will post more soon.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Started work on the road wheels and drive sprockets. All have been spray painted with Tamyia Dark Yellow paint. Giving a heavey dark wash then dry brushed again with Tamiya dark yellow. The sprockets and the outer edges of the wheels were weathered with a graphite pencil to show contact with the track. Before I attach them to the model I will weather them with Mig pigments and more weathering techniques.

t-I004.jpg

t-I003.jpg

Edited by 802chrisg

Now that's nice. Perhaps a touch of the silver pencil, no? I like the tamya yellow, my modelmaster 1943 dunklegelb seems darker, and more greenish-tan. Guess I'll have to add some testors yellow to it. Ah, the smell of victory. Enamel and laquer thinner and coffee in the mornin'.

G.L.

Mark and Gary thanks,

As I'm sure I'm not alone on this, but I usually hate doing road wheels. But in this case the process was very smooth. Either I'm getting really good at this or must have had one too many beers that night.

Chris

Yeah, ain't road wheel clean=up and painting grand. I do believe the adult beverage has "benificial" qualities for this work and AMS in general. Much like red wine helps the cholesteral. This is what I'll tell the wife when I fall off the stool at the workbench.

G.L.

Chris,

Have you ever tried the Cavalier Zimm? If so, how does the PE compare?

David,

No I have not. I am hearing good things about it and have read several build reviews that people have used it. I will have to try it. As far as the PE, I recommend it. I did file down around the edges to smooth them out and there is some small putty work to be done in spots that the PE cannot get to. Went on very fast with no real problems.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have been away from this project for sometime now. I have been working hard on it again so I will be posting new updates soon. My home computer harddrive died so I need to use my work computer at lunch time. Good thing I have Photobucket, because I lost everything on my computer.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

OK Finally I'm back working on this build. Here are some up to date photos. I have replaced the fenders, muffler guards, tie down tool clamps, tow cables, etc with PE. Replaced the hull MG with a brass turned two part barrel. Replaced the track changing cable with a scratch built one, Replaced the shoval handle with a scratch built one, Replaced the cleaning rods with wire cut and shaped to size. Added a resin jerry can and a scratch built holder with left over PE tee's. The tracks are Fruil track links. Still need to do some clean up and need to glue in the pins. Working on the turret detail now, will post that later.

Enjoy,

Chris

modelpic12-15-10049.jpg

modelpic12-15-10048-1.jpg

modelpic12-15-10050.jpg

Edited by 802chrisg