Need your "Hobby Related Injury" stories...

Keith Pruitt

Molten plastic can be painful and leave a lasting scar. When I worked in R&D, we were working with a molten plastic process. We had two of the guys get some on their arms. One of the guys has a scar to this day. The other one. after letting it cool, immediately treated it with "DMSO. He said it burned like fire. It never blistered and he healed completely and no sign that it had ever been burned. Also, if you do get molten plastic on you, get cold water on it immediately. Do not try to remove it until it's cold or you'll loose some skin.

Also, if you do get molten plastic on you, get cold water on it immediately. Do not try to remove it until it's cold or you'll loose some skin.

Are we speaking from experience????? Way to go Goober!!!! What do you expect from somone one that lives in the "STICKS"!

Actually, I only got it on me once. I was cleaning the packs before shift change and neglected to put on a face shield. I got a small glob on my lower lip. Cooled it off and removed it and went home. I had to go to the doctor, so I told him I had burnt my face with bacon grease. The next shift at work I told the same story. No accident report, no L&I.

Almost everyone got some on them at one time or another. Usually it was on our coveralls.

Didn't happen to me, but a freind required several stitches after the top of a glass Model Master bottle snapped off in his hand while he was trying to open a stuck lid. I'm not sure if he was using pliers or not. I've twisted off the tops of paint bottle myself, but only while they were chucked in a vice and I was using pliers.

SN