Spray booth alternative

henryhatch

I did some modeling years ago, stopped and now I'm back. When I was active tube cement was the norm and acrylics were just starting to appear. I'm in the process of getting up to date on current technology and trends.

I live in a condo and do not have a dedicated work area. I plan to do airbrush work with acrylics. Right now hobby funds are very tight. Instead of a spray booth I was planning to simply use a cardboard box, respirator and goggles which I do have.

Does this provide adequate protection ? Over time will atomized paint collect on walls and carpeting ?

Henry

Henry,

Before I had my model room, this was how i spray painted. Try this! Get a card board box. Buy a cheap bathroom vent fan at a home improvement store. Cut a hole in the top of the box and mount the fan. Tee off of your dryer vent with a dryer hose that will be attached to the fan vent. For power have the vent wired so that you can just plug it into and outlet. Its a little work but it works.

Hope this helps.

Chris

I simply use a fan with a protected housing blowing out my hobby room window. I open the window, turn the fan around till it is blowing outside, and then airbrush on a cardboard tray in front of the fan. It may not be the safest, but I get no fumes and atomized paint anywhere.

I use one of those floor box fans inside a box. I tape a good furnace filter to the front of the fan and make sure that the fan and the filter are a tight fit into the box. It works well for me. Although the fan exits into my basement, I really don't smell much paint or thinner fumes. Also, I believe that the filter absorbs any paint and thinner so that any chance of fire is very minimal.

When I took this photo, the filter was ready to be changed. You can see all of the paint that has been collected. I am now using a filter with about 4 inch pleats. To let in some light, I cut a hole in the top and taped a piece of plastic in place.

cew_paint_booth1.jpg

I use one of those floor box fans inside a box. I tape a good furnace filter to the front of the fan and make sure that the fan and the filter are a tight fit into the box. It works well for me. Although the fan exits into my basement, I really don't smell much paint or thinner fumes. Also, I believe that the filter absorbs any paint and thinner so that any chance of fire is very minimal.

When I took this photo, the filter was ready to be changed. You can see all of the paint that has been collected. I am now using a filter with about 4 inch pleats. To let in some light, I cut a hole in the top and taped a piece of plastic in place.

cew_paint_booth1.jpg

Thanks to you and others who responded to my post. I think I'll try your approach. I don't have a basement, but I do have a box fan which I can mount in a box in an open window. I'll cut out a hole on top, mount a work light on a piece of glass and clean or replace as needed.

The first model I've built in years is ready for painting and I think I've made a mess of it. The primer coat will reveal my sins. However, practice and patience will bring redemption.

Henry

Please read this link:

Spraybooth and fan selection

Please make the right choice in selecting a fan. Although you mention using acrylics I still would rather see you safely spraying versus having an explosion. Even though you're going cheaply, which most of us do, make sure you read as much about this as you can. We have a thread at one of the car boards I'm on with someone having their spray booth fan exploding and landed him in the hospital.

Just take extra care with this.

Chris

We have a thread at one of the car boards I'm on with someone having their spray booth fan exploding and landed him in the hospital.

I would be interested in checking this thread. For my spray booth, I usually build small models so when I paint them, a minimum amount of paint is in the air. I firmly believe that it is virtually impossible to reach the proper Stoichiometric Air-fuel Ratio behind the filter. As I said, I don't vent the booth to the outside but I really can't smell any paint odor in the basement plus, the wife has never complained.

I would be interested in checking this thread. For my spray booth, I usually build small models so when I paint them, a minimum amount of paint is in the air. I firmly believe that it is virtually impossible to reach the proper Stoichiometric Air-fuel Ratio behind the filter. As I said, I don't vent the booth to the outside but I really can't smell any paint odor in the basement plus, the wife has never complained.

Here is the link I had been following:

Spray Booth Explosion thread

Chris