Diorama or Not?!

Richard

Greetings all!

I'd like some opinions from the peanut gallery.

First off, I'm mostly an armor guy. This will be my first foray into the aircraft arena since I was knee high to a grasshopper!

I've got a 1:48 scale Tamiya Ki-84 Frank, one of the "prop action" kits. What I'm planning to do is replace the kit supplied engine with a bigger one capable of more torque and adding a toggle switch so someone can turn it on and off at their liesure.

I'm planning to put this on a simple base perhaps to look as though it's on the carrier deck ready for launch. So, having said all this my question is: If you were judging, would you expect this to go into the dio category or simply in it's respective aircraft category?

I'm using the Frank as a primer to possibly work up to a B-17 with all motors running!

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome as always!

TIA

Edited by Richard

So, having said all this my question is: If you were judging, would you expect this to go into the dio category or simply in it's respective aircraft category?

Regular Aircraft category. A diorama is supposed to tell a story and have figures. Primary (flight) crew are allowed in a regular category. In this case, an aircraft with a motorized prop isn't much of a story.

Now, if you include the pilot, a few mechs and some gear, plus groundwork on a rough field setting then it starts to become a diorama.

From this year's rules:

9. BASES/DIORAMAS. Bases will be allowed in all categories and will not be considered in the judging except in the Diorama classes. A base may be a piece of undecorated wood, plastic or glass or it may simulate the natural surface on which the prototype would be found; however, nothing other than that surface may be used. Aircraft and military vehicles may rest on simulated ground or paving, and aircraft that need beaching gear or dollies may be so equipped. Ships may be displayed in water (no drydocks). The base must not be the predominant feature of the entry and must be of a size proportionate to the model. The Contest Chairman and Judges reserve the right to exclude oversize bases. The model may include primary crew figures. The addition of any other figures or equipment outside or not attached to, the model (e.g., support equipment, shell splashes, or buildings) will make the model a Diorama, which must then be entered in the proper Diorama category. Dioramas are judged not only on the technical merit of their construction but also on the strength of the theme or story they present, so that if two dioramas were technically equal the one having the stronger theme or story would win. A previous national contest winner may be used as part of a diorama as long as it not the primary focus of the diorama.

HTH, James

Oddly enough, I can't do 1:48 or 1:35 scale figures worth a darn! I can wire up a prop with an engine and an on/off switch; but put a figure in front of me and I'm dead in the water!