Tamiya 1/32 scale SpitWad IXc

Weedeater

- Thought I'd share my latest build. Started it on the 4th of July weekend model building party at brother Keith's. A fellow model buddy in the club said that I couldn't finish it in less than 6 months, so the challenge was on.

- Built totally OOB. Several of our club members were building this same kit for a special sponsored contest. I didn't get mine done in time for that one. Many of us, including myself, acquired decals for that "O-so-lovely dari-air'd babe" artwork and I figured I just had to go and do something else, more original. Most, if not all Israeli Spits were "e" wings and I didn't want to monkey with the conversion. So I landed on this paint scheme that I had been wanting to do for years in 48th scale. All references that I found show the Mk IX's with "c" wings. I suppose that it is possible that they did have "e" wings too.

- Go try and find references on Egyptian Spits, Good Luck. There is very little that I could find, mostly only in references for the Israeli Spits. Never found any color photos of em, except for color artwork. And ya know what they say about the percentage of accuracy of artwork, ask Jack Morris (artist for many decal companies and the now defunct Aerospace Modeler Magazine). Of the few references that I could find, they were conflictive in reporting the REAF Spits "with Standard" and "NON-Standard" RAF Desert paint schemes. My thoughts were that they were most likely painted in the Dark Earth/Midstone/Azure Blue colors, but would have faded severely in the desert sun. So, I interpreted that when I applied the camo along with a variety of airbrush effects to further the simulation.

- Decals came from the Hobbycraft 32nd scale Foreign Sea Fury issue. I did have to mask, match mix the green, and airbrush the centers to get rid of the cresent moons and stars for the wing markings. All references noted the lack of them on the wing insignias. Other aircraft (Hurricanes, MC.202/205's, later Mk Spits) apparently did get them on the wings though. The White/Black stripes were airbrushed over the camo and purposefully applied thin so that the camo colors were just barely visible thru them to give that "worn out" effect.

- This was my "All-Nighter" finish in the hotel room for the Nats in Phoenix. When I started work on Thursday evening it had the camo applied, but was missing all the decals, the washes, and everything forward of the engine firewall. Some may say I'm looney to do it, but it has become a tradition. Basically, of the 11 or so Nats I have attended, I have done this at the last 9 of 'em. Call it procrastination, or dedication, or obsession...... guess I just love doing it this way. FWIW, statistically, everyeone of my "All-Nighter" finishes in the hotel room have netted a placing at the Nats. And quite often, 1st places. This one squeeked out a 3rd place in 1/32 OOB Aircraft against 16 other entries. Not a 1st, but as always, I am thrilled and honored to place with any entry. Hope you enjoy something different and the insanity of the build.

SpitWad-IXc-REAF-1.jpg

- I have since learned that the nifty "paint chipping effect" on the prop leading edges may not be correct/accurate. Apparently, most if not all Mk IX's and/or REAF Spits had wooden props. I have seen in some photos where some props look like they have a re-enforcement leading edge applied, but I still think that my prop may not be an accurate portrayal of it. And I was so proud of the way I achieved the effect too. Oh well, lesson learned.

SpitWad-IXc-REAF-3.jpg

SpitWad-IXc-REAF-5.jpg

SpitWad-IXc-REAF-7.jpg

- The price I paid for the not-so-finished model was a few incomplete components in the engine department, a lack of a full application of weathering effects in the same engine department, and a lack of completed weathering effects on the rest of the model, ie., gun blast staining and additional exhaust staining, both with pastels. I plan on still adding them in the next week or two. Otherwise, another.....lesson learned.

SpitWad-IXc-REAF-91.jpg

- I used the kit's stock PE Sutton seat harness. But first I did anneal the sheet. They were much more compliant after that, to get them to lay down convincingly. I looked at several images on google for Sutton harnesses and figured that the REAF Spits would have had the brass looking fittings on the belts and they would have been "tarnished" or worn out looking, hence the dark looking brass color.

- So, hope you enjoy it. Model on, Brothers of the Sprue. :smiley4:

Edited by Weedeater

VERY nice Ken.

With all of the Tamiya spits on the table at Phoenix, and the different Marks I understand they may be releasing later this year, it looks like Omaha better count on a split just for the the Tamiya Spits!

Mike

VERY nice Ken.

Thank you very much Mike. Appreciate the compliment.

With all of the Tamiya spits on the table at Phoenix, and the different Marks I understand they may be releasing later this year, it looks like Omaha better count on a split just for the the Tamiya Spits!

Mike

- Maybe so. I already have the Mk VIII and plan on building it in my Uncle's SEAC markings in Burma. Have photos of it and the artwork for the squadron emblem along with a limited edition painting/print with him flying wing man for the subject aircraft. But I promise......I won't wait until July to start and will finish it BEFORE the hotel room, this time. :D

But I promise......I won't wait until July to start and will finish it BEFORE the hotel room, this time. :D

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Sure you will! :smiley2: What's that they say about the best intentions??????

But seriously, why mess with success?

Mike

Beautiful Spitfire, and not a scheme you see every day! Is that some Waldron placards I spottted on the right wall? Regardless, the cockpit looks smashing! Thanks for sharing!'

GIL :smiley16:

- Actually, that is some carefully cut-up and strategically placed Superscale "Railroad" decals. There are several of them throughout the cockpit to mimic photos of the real examples ANNNND to keep the build in-line with OOB! Thanks for noticing the subtle detail and for the awesome compliments, I appreciate it. And for an added teaser, here are a couple other angles to spy more of those railroad decals:

SpitWad-IXc-REAF-9.jpg

SpitWad-IXc-REAF-6.jpg

Hope you continue to enjoy and thanks for looking.

Edited by Weedeater

Stunning work Ken. I love it. And to think I'd brought my whole toolbox with me to Phoenix so I could do an evening build with you as you mentioned before the Nats. Oh well. Contest models come first and you did outstanding on this one. Well deserved award!