Duece and a Half

Kjundude1

In 2009, I dedicated the whole year to try to improve my figure painting, with mixed results.

As soon as 2010 came around, I NEEDED to build a model. So here is the one I built for the Atlanta Metro Show...it was my first model in over a year and it felt good.

Comments always welcome.

100_7729.jpg

100_7730.jpg

100_7734.jpg

Edited by Kjundude1

That looks REALLY nice. I like it a lot. The only critical comment I'd make is the "magnetic" stowage. When I use those smaller bags from the Tamiya stowage sets, I use foil strips super glued to them and wrapped around something to "hang" them. Once they are on, it's pretty easy (especially if you're a figure painter) to paint them in situ. Even the bigger tarps don't look quite right, as the straps binding them obviously don't go around a slat on the trucks structure.

But aside from that SMALL detail, it really looks great.

Mike

Nicely done but I do agree with Mike. If you are entering the piece in a contest, the judges will mark you down for having"magic straps/stowage". One other suggestion...weather the tires to suggest dirt and dust in the tread pattern. Welcome back to modeling!!!

Mark

Thanks Mike and Mark. I see what yall mean and agree that these small steps would add a lot to the model. Thank you very much for the feedback.

Chris

Edited by Kjundude1

One item - I question the designations on the plaque. There would be no unit such as the 3549th Transportation Corps.

You do not show your bumper numbers, but I suspect they, and your ref picture, are something like:

1A 3549 * TC TRK-37 where the * is a star.

That would read 1st Army, 3549 Transportation Company, and Truck#37 within that company.

HTH ...

One item - I question the designations on the plaque. There would be no unit such as the 3549th Transportation Corps.

You do not show your bumper numbers, but I suspect they, and your ref picture, are something like:

1A 3549 * TC TRK-37 where the * is a star.

That would read 1st Army, 3549 Transportation Company, and Truck#37 within that company.

HTH ...

Well, you are exactly right about what is on the bumper. I wish I could put my hands on the decal instructions I followed. It seems like I copied that right off the Tamiya instructions, but I don't remember exactly.

Thanks for pointing that out. As I have said before, I am not an armor guy, so I have lots to learn. :smiley19:

Maybe I should stick to what I know...figures. :smiley14:

I do appreciate everyones feedback. I look at it as a learning experience.

Chris

No. Do not just stick to figures, that is a really nice model and the addition of the straps/weathering and title change is about all it might need. Keep modeling whatever grabs your interest, your doing great stuff.

G.L.

No. Do not just stick to figures, that is a really nice model and the addition of the straps/weathering and title change is about all it might need. Keep modeling whatever grabs your interest, your doing great stuff.

G.L.

Thanks Gary.

That was my bad attempt at being funny. :smiley14:

I appreciate all the good advice. My experience has always been with figures and ships, so I have a lot to learn.

Chris Fontenot

James,

This is a really beatifully painted model. I can tell that you are a figure model. I consider figure modelers some of the best around as far as painting goes. Other then the few minor things already pointed out, I think that you just became a figure/armour modeler.

Well done!

Chris

Consider dioramas. You can fill your vehicle and figure jones in one shot. Lets out the "artsy craftsy" side, the story teller side and the AMS side. Now what could be more fun than that??? Try everything, a ship, a bleedin airplane let your intrest or curiosity run amok. Ya only live once and you can't screw up worse than me or anybody else out here. fun is where you find it.

G.L.

Consider dioramas. You can fill your vehicle and figure jones in one shot. Lets out the "artsy craftsy" side, the story teller side and the AMS side. Now what could be more fun than that??? Try everything, a ship, a bleedin airplane let your intrest or curiosity run amok. Ya only live once and you can't screw up worse than me or anybody else out here. fun is where you find it.

G.L.

Gary,

Your in the Armour forum! Slow down with the try everything stuff, a.k.a. ships and planes. Try something like this, " Yes you have mad modeling skiills and I would love to see you try say a Russian AFV or a middle east country AFV, or a far east country AFV".

But a PLANE!!! Yikes!!! :smiley11:

All I'm saying is let your interest and immagination go, try stuff, life is good. If a modeler wants to make a tank he will. Heck, if I had only drank burbon I'd never of found scotch. I encourage anyone to build armor, I do. Have had minor experiance with it once upon a time. But you still use your immagination when you build one even OOB. If you can do figures, armor and figures is a natural. Lots of armor kits have a figure in it. One more is a diorama. :smiley20:

All I'm saying is let your interest and immagination go, try stuff, life is good. If a modeler wants to make a tank he will. Heck, if I had only drank burbon I'd never of found scotch. I encourage anyone to build armor, I do. Have had minor experiance with it once upon a time. But you still use your immagination when you build one even OOB. If you can do figures, armor and figures is a natural. Lots of armor kits have a figure in it. One more is a diorama. :smiley20:

NOW That is a beautifyly said statement. Modeling, Burbon, Scotch, Diarama's, Perfect, and no mention about a stinken plane. Now I have to admit that when I was little I did build a plane once. I was able to resist the powers of the dark side and return to the heavenly world of armour. It was a dark period in my life, I don't like to talk about it much. :(

Seriouly, Build whatever that makes you enjoy yourself and this wonderful hobby. Truth is I have been around planes more in my life then AFV. I know that I'm going to hear it for this, but building a plane, ship, or whatever does help build on your skills and gives you a better understanding of the different methods and skills that go into building different types of models. :smiley17:

Enjoy,

Although nobody has said this yet, I will. With this beautiful softskin military truck, you are 80% of the was to building heavy commercial trucks in 1/25 scale in the, gasp, automotive class. Your remaining 20% is the gloss paint job on the body of the truck and the decal markings, sometimes quite large, that go onto a trailer. All your skills in detail painting transfer directly into modern heavy commercial tractor-trailers. Just a thought . . .

Ed

Aw, Ed. A freightliner? :smiley19: OMG next we'll be havin' him do sci-fi. Yeah I know, I started it. Anybody do a NMF on a tank? OK I better go back to beer, this is gettin' out a wack. Great truck, good fun.

G.L.

Nice job. I have the same kit even though I pretty much just do 72nd I will make an exception here and there. Been trying to find a set of Jerry Cans to fill the back and do one of the Red Ball Express trucks. There is a nice drawing in the instruction sheets but I am not about to go out and buy that many individual cans.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys.

I got some very good suggestions, so I have made some corrections. First, no more magic or magnetic bags. I used some drafting linen to make the straps. This is what I use to make flags on my figures, so I thought that it work well for straps and I think they came out ok.

I also corrected the label to reflect the correct markings and I used some Vallejo pigments to dirty up the tires between the tracks.

Please all coments and advise are welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

IMG_0548-1.jpg

IMG_0549-1.jpg

IMG_0550-1.jpg

Edited by Kjundude1

Wow! I really like the shadow effect along the panel lines! Very nicely done!