A bit different

JohnRatzenberger

We had a GB on UAMF/CBK -- build something motorized by the old FROG Spin-A-Prop motors. One of our members has been collecting them for years and donated some to the cause. If you are not familiar, they came 2 to a box. They are connected to a single AA battery but they won't start until you manually spin the prop (thus their name).

I chose the Airfix 1/72 Bristol Superfreighter using S&M Decals to replace the toasted kit ones. Lot's of adventure figuring out how to place the motors in a kit not designed for them. And here she is .... Please note that the center of the nose should be blue, but it did not come with the decals and I didn't feel like messing about with it, so it stays white.

afx72superfreighter-40_finished_s.jpg

First a peek inside the fuselage at the battery compartment. Note Bert & Ernie in the cockpit.

afx72superfreighter-33_battery_s.jpg

And some "in-flight" photos ....

afx72superfreighter-41_inflight1_s.jpg

afx72superfreighter-41_inflight2_s.jpg

It's been enjoyable, completely different from what I normally do. I feel like a kid again. I am really glad I picked the SF to motorize, otherwise it would still be sitting on my shelf. I have to remember it isn't stick & tissue and not launch it off the deck ....

If interested, the full build thread is at http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=12666

I took her back out today, set her on a beer glass atop two side tables to get above the deck rail .... All of which proves that I may not be much of a modeler, but I'm even worse at Photo-shop .... Anyway, here she is, apparently in a more natural element ....

afx72superfreighter-51_inflight1_s.jpg

afx72superfreighter-51_inflight3_s.jpg

afx72superfreighter-51_inflight4_s.jpg

YOU PHOTO-SHOPPED OUT THE BEER!!? There's just something so wrong about that..... :smiley2:

Looks even more ungainly in the air. Too much fuselage and not enough wing. But your pics looks great and your skills are shown off very well! That 3rd pic could pass for the real thing over on Airliners.com. Congrats!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

YOU PHOTO-SHOPPED OUT THE BEER!!? There's just something so wrong about that..... :smiley2:

Looks even more ungainly in the air. Too much fuselage and not enough wing. But your pics looks great and your skills are shown off very well! That 3rd pic could pass for the real thing over on Airliners.com. Congrats!

GIL :smiley16:

No, I drank the beer, then used the empty glass ....

At my photo angles, the wing looks smaller than the barn door it really is ....