"Hello! My name is Gil and I'm a modelholic"!

ghodges

How do I know? Because I finished up a model last Wednesday, cleared my workbench, and was thinking "I'll go to the IPMS Nats in Phoenix next week and come home inspired- with a clean workbench- where I can tackle ANYTHING immediately"! Sounds like a plan, right?

But then I hit my weekend off yesterday.....3 days in a row without work.....what to do....what to do.....

So I fondled some plastic in the boxes, and I examined my decal stash, and re-arranged the workbench (again), and then I STARTED A MODEL!

Yep! I couldn't go 3 days without working on SOMETHING! God knows, I tried! But that Otaki kit dared me to build it. It called to me from the stash. It told me I couldn't get it done before I leave on Tuesday! I'll show it!

Is that pathetic or not? Isn't that a true sign of an addiction? And guess what, I get to attend PLASTIC JUNKIE HEAVEN next week at the IPMS Nats in Phoenix! There'll be more models, decals, and aftermarket stuff than the law should allow. It ought to be illegal, but thank God it's not! happy.gif Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

Please put the xacto, glue and instructions down and step away from the workbench. Take a deep breath and count to ten. You will be alright. Repeat as necessary.

Just thought I would try to help Gil. I was in the same position last night, but I beat it. You can too. :smiley2:

See you in Phoenix

Mike

"Hi Gil!"

I haven't had time, with my four days off to do anything on any mode;ls. I have so much paperwork to fill out and then I have to find all my instruction sheets and so on, and so on, and so on...

Maybe I'll work on something today, just to give myself a rest.

Ha! There-in lies the difference between the Duke and the rest of us....he builds stuff to take a break! At the rate he builds, he must take as many breaks as I do on my "government job". :smiley2:

The Otaki Shiden is 80% painted. The main camo colors are on. All that remains is the yellow leading edge wing ID's and painting the gear wells in that Aotake metallic blue. I won't get it done before leaving Tuesday evening, but all that will be left is decalling, weathering, and the fiddly bits. I can live with that after 4 days of modeling!

Re-read Gil's opening thread and still can not recognize a problem here. Good on you Gil. Aren't Otaki kits fun? If you get good glass it is party bonus time. Love the Spit Mk VIII (I know, no gull wing), the Raiden, Ki100, well heck, they are all fun.

There are twelve steps to overcoming your addiction, but most of them escape me. One of them may have had something to do with double fudge brownies. Or was it Mach 2 kits. I forget.

Rick L.

Edited by Spruemeister

Gil - There is a cure! Go out and actually fly a fast jet. But then my heart wouldn't stand the g load, and my eyes and reactions would make it a last great smokin' hole some where out on final approach. Bring on the plastic.

That's one of my favorite Otaki kits! It's an "easy" 109G for the shelf.

The Shiden is painted, decalled, and washed. All that's left is the "chipping" and the fiddly parts. With any luck, it'll be done for the meeting on Saturday!

- Yes Gil, I suffer from the same Modelholic affliction. To help with my symptoms, I too started an Otaki kit a week before the Nats, as theropy to get away from my Nats contest model builds. Mine is the P-47D Razorback. It is really a nice kit that is only slightly short of Has and Tam quality/detail. Thanks for posting your picks here and over in the Aircraft forum. The George looks great. Kudos for another great endeavor. :smiley20:

• 3 weeks later...

Gil, you know you are not alone. My wife keeps telling me that is not a hobby, it has become an addiction. I tried to stop for a few weeks and I had all the withdraw symptoms, couldn't stop thinking about models, got anxious, and the when I sat down and re-started a few stalled projects, I knew everthing was going to be OK.

I wish I could tell you it will pass, but it won't...lucky us!

I, too, am a plastiholic. Recently went on a kit buying spree and paint splurge. Now to tackle the projects. My wife doesn't really care as it's a hobby she knows I thoroughly enjoy and I'm at home. Plus the kids know that I can paint their toys when they get damaged, or alter them to accomodate their characters of choice. LOLOL