It Ain't a Plane, But It Flies....

Mark Deliduka

Here is my latest finished model just in time for the Nats. It is here in the Aircraft Forum because it is an airship and it flies. I won this model as a raffle prize at Orangecon 2009.

May I present the Lindbergh 1/245th scale Graf Zeppelin:

Civilian%20Graf%20Zeppelin%20I.jpg

Civilian%20Graf%20Zeppelin%20II.jpg

And just to give you an idea of how big this model is:

Civilian%20Graf%20Zeppelin%20III.jpg

I measured it out at three feet two inches in length. I had to take it out and shoot the pics of it sitting on the hood of my truck! There was no place in the house that I could pose it.

The gondola comes with a complete interior. I took a pic of it here to show the interior after I painted it:

WIP%20Graf%20Zeppelin%20III.jpg

I winged it when it came to the colors since despite all my efforts, I couldn't find any info on what the interior colors looked like. So, they ain't accurate, but they look good! The silver looking globes in the middle are lights. Yes, the kit came with a light kit inside and so the gondola lights up:

WIP%20Graf%20Zeppelin%20VI.jpg

Well, there she is, the largest model I've built since the B-36. It was a pretty fun build and I'm thrilled to have her finished! For those going to Phoenix, you'll be able to see this in person.

That's all for now. Thanks all for looking in; comments are welcome.

Thanks Bob. Yeah, these were the passenger liners of the 30's. I would have loved to fly one. Too bad they don't have any of these anymore. What a trip it would be to take a cruise in one of these!

Different animal, but I've had the opportunity to take a couple of balloon rides over the past couple years (about 10 pax in the gondola). Wonderful experience and highly recommended.

Mark,

Great looking model. Wouldn't it be cool if some country still had airships and you could buy a ticket and ride in one on a trip. That to me would be cool. Good luck at the Nat's and have a blast.

Chris

Mark,

Great looking model. Wouldn't it be cool if some country still had airships and you could buy a ticket and ride in one on a trip. That to me would be cool. Good luck at the Nat's and have a blast.

Chris

I agree Chris. That would be a blast. I know one can buy a ride on the Goodyear Blimp, but it is prohibitively expensive. Not quite the same thing either. Thanks for the compliment and I'll certainly enjoy myself while I'm out of the heat.

Duke,

I'm shocked ... it's not 1/72 :smiley25:

No, unfortunately. It is the closest thing to 1/72 I could get since nobody makes a kit of these in 1/72 scale. Hey, you got to admit, it is still 'small scale'! If they did make one in 1/72 scale, you can bet your life that I'd build it!

See you in Phoenix with the rest of my 100 models! :smiley22::smiley20:

• 1 month later...
Impressive detail in the gondola.