Researching F.S. colors U.S.S. Intrepid Hellcat

JOHN MAENE

Looking for the WW II F.S. colors for U.S.S. Intrepid Hellcat.

Most Hellcats basically came in two color schemes--the so-called "Tri-Color" scheme of Non-Specular Sea Blue, Intermediate Blue, and White; and the overall Gloss Sea Blue scheme. The Federal Standard color system is a post-war development, so technically there are no FS colors for the Hellcat--the colors for the Tri-Color scheme would be ANA 607 (NS Sea Blue), ANA 608 (Intermediate Blue), and ANA 601 (Matt Insignia White). The Gloss Sea Blue is ANA 623. That being said, you could use FS35062 and FS35164 for the NS Sea Blue and Intermediate blue, and FS15062 for the Gloss Sea Blue. Any flat white would work. I just finished an Otaki Hellcat, and I used the Tamiya Sea Blue and Intermediate Blue, I lightened the Intermediate blue with some white....

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Nardone

Most Hellcats basically came in two color schemes--the so-called "Tri-Color" scheme of Non-Specular Sea Blue, Intermediate Blue, and White; and the overall Gloss Sea Blue scheme. The Federal Standard color system is a post-war development, so technically there are no FS colors for the Hellcat--the colors for the Tri-Color scheme would be ANA 607 (NS Sea Blue), ANA 608 (Intermediate Blue), and ANA 601 (Matt Insignia White). The Gloss Sea Blue is ANA 623. That being said, you could use FS35062 and FS35164 for the NS Sea Blue and Intermediate blue, and FS15062 for the Gloss Sea Blue. Any flat white would work. I just finished an Otaki Hellcat, and I used the Tamiya Sea Blue and Intermediate Blue, I lightened the Intermediate blue with some white....

Ralph

Ralph,

Many thanks for the quick response. I just got a Hobby Boss Hellcat & if you only eyeballed the colors shown, you'd be way off.

Appreciate the help,

John

Just a personnel preference here John, but I like to use the Viet Nam light grey (36622 I think) on the lower surface in lieu of the white. Kind of an off white color.

...Viet Nam light grey (36622 I think) on the lower surface in lieu of the white. Kind of an off white color.

Very good call here. A couple of professional artists told me they save 'pure white' for highlights and such. Jeff's method gives a much better "real airplane" effect, to my eye. I've also mixed in a wee bit of neutral, or warm/cool (blue/brown) colors to tone down pure white surfaces.