I'm Stumped

SteveV22FE

Alright guys, I need a little help.

Look at this F-22A at the National Museum of the Air Force:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/me...F-1234P-003.jpg

I like this look of this Raptor and want to finish my F-22 this way, but I can't figure out the colors. I know photos are deceptive, but when I test the MOD Eagle colors on a test part it doesn't look like this photo.

The best I can tell, the nose, and leading edges are Light Ghost Gray. It seems the best match to the overall color is Aggressor Gray. When I shoot the MOD Eagle scheme on a test part, the Aggressor Gray and Dark Gull Gray blend so close that you can't tell the difference.

I am asking the forum users, what do you guys this the blue-gray color on this jet. It looks almost Model Master Medium Gray 35237 or could it be Intermediate Blue 35164?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Edited by SteveV22FE

The Raptor colors are tough. In most lighting conditions they have a distinct metallic sheen. I've seen one build where the guy used metallic car colors as the basis for is paint and another, I think Jim Rotrammel (I probably spelled that wrong) on ARC where I think he mixed Model Master metalizers with Model Masters standard colors to get there. And finally, I'm pretty sure that Gerald Voight at Hawkeye Hobbies has got some paints out in his acrylic SNJ line that are supposed to match the Raptor colors.

I'd also suggest a search of Airliners.net for more operational pictures of Raptors to get a better idea of what the colors look like. But in the end, I really don't think you're going to end up where you want to be looking at the standard FS colors.

Mike

Also, I'm willing to bet that the F-22 in the pic is a demonstrator mock-up, not an operational bird. Several of the vents are obviously nothing more than a painted pattern. The color scheme on this particular Raptor might need to be taken with a grain of salt...

To me they look like Light Ghost Grey, Dark Gull Grey, and Intermediate Blue. But then I'm guessing here. Again, like someone else mentioned, they could be anything under these lighting conditions.

Also, I'm willing to bet that the F-22 in the pic is a demonstrator mock-up, not an operational bird. Several of the vents are obviously nothing more than a painted pattern. The color scheme on this particular Raptor might need to be taken with a grain of salt...

It's Raptor 03. It is NOT in an operational paint job. This paint looks to be a standard paint, not eh special paint they apply here at the factory.

The colors that work well on the 5 or so kits I've seen here in our club are all Alclad II #103 mixed with either of the Mod Eagle colors plus a light gray similar to Light Gull Gray on the leading edges.