Conan by Moebius

Dick Montgomery

Now that's a good idea! I have the materials to add a 5 oclock shadow.... I'll get one of my practice figs out and give it a shot before I try it on Conan.

Dick,

Use a dark to medium grey for the 5 o'clock shadow. Black would be too dark. Dab a little around the jaw line, a little darker around the chin. Seal when satisfied with dulcote. Experiment like you said on your practice figure before trying it out on Conan.

Good luck

Rogue

Which line of products would you use for this? I've got some Tamiya weathering powders and then some artist's chalks but I inherited the later and don't know who manufacturered them. They work ok, but don't adhere as well as the Tamiya items.

Myself, I use Prismacolor pastels. There is also a line call I believe Alphacolor. I could be wrong about the name. There a many manufacturers out there. Check out Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

Good luck

Rogue

Oopsie. Excellent point. They are colored pencils and that simply will not work. It would make Conan look like he got attached by a child with crayons!

Dick,

You might consider picking up David Fisher's Model Mania video. It's full of great figure techniques. A good buy for those interested in figure modeling. You might also visit a few of the figure kit communities for suggestions and ideas, if you haven't already done so.

http://modelmaniadvd.com/modelmaniavolumefour.html

Just a suggestion

Rogue

I'll definately check out these resources and thanks for the link. I've played around with that technique to give Conan a five oclock shadow and am not yet satisfied with my results to the point of smacking Conan's chops with it.

More practice upcoming....but that's how one expands one's skill set.

I'll continue working on it until I'm at least mediocre at it....

Of course, as I was playing around I realized that I do something very similar to that technique when I "panel" my Sci Fi spacecraft.

Hi,

Excellent job on the Conan kit.

I reeally like the movement in it. Not static like so many (cough cought Ironman cough) styrene kits can be.

I also 2nd the idea of the Fisher videos. They're great.

• 3 months later...

My learning curve was a bit steep and I resorted to an airbrush for far more of the work than originally intended, but what the heck. Since the completion of Conan several of my Figure colleagues acquired kits and I'm very interested in seeing their work. They are very good at this genre and it is they who are coaching me throught the learning process. They try to be kind when viewing and offering criticisms but its funny to see them struggle to find a polite way to inform me that my work is, as yet, sub-par. They do an excellent job focusing on specific things that I can do to improve and it is very helpful to listen and learn. My latest "technique" that I learned from them, more of a tool actually, is the use of a wet palette. That was easy to manufacture and makes a world of difference.

One of these days I'll get back to my favorite subject matter but I'm having lots of fun exploring other types of modeling and I'm learning a lot by working on Figures and armor. I'm about to finish up a real tank with tracks! Haven't done a tracked vehicle in 10 or 15 years!

So many models, so little time.