F7F Tigercats

JeffS

Good morning IPMS'ers.

I would like to know if there were any single seat versions of the Tigercat serving in the Korean War. Google, in action etc only show the two seat night fighters. It would stand to reason there must have been single seaters around somewhere right?

Cheers

I vaguely remember researching this same question (not very intensively) in the past. All of the single-seaters I saw were pre-Korea and/or Test birds at Pax River. All of the Korean war pix I've seen of F7Fs were the family model with radar/nightfighters.

Jeff,

- I looked thru my small pile of Tigercat "stuff" which includes the In Action and a few "Korean War" references (Sq/Sig, Warbird), a Wings of Fame Vol 2, and a couple of SAMI pubs. There was next to nothing showing any single seaters in Korea..... except this artwork in the Scale Aviation Modeler Int'l...... Vol. 3, No. 7, pg 457 (yeah that's an issue from 1996):

F7F-3P.jpg

- In case it does not come through very well, the bottom drawing states it was "A matt black F7F-3P flown by Capt. K. Dykes in 1950 Korea. Photographic Tigercats flew with the headquarters squadron, First Marine Air Wing." So if'n yer lookin to do a Photo-Recon bird, at least it's a single seater. HTH. Model on, Brother of the Sprue.

Thanks a bunch Ken. Dang, I have that magazine but haven't dug deep enough for it.

What I have learned is that both HEDRON FMAW (Headquarters Squadron First Marine Air Wing and MAG 33 both used the F7F-3P. Some black some glossy sea blue. Some with the ADF antenna on the spine others not.

So there is life for my Monogram F7F as a "real" warbird yet.

To all who responded, thanks you very much.

Edited by JeffS

BTW, I just bought a set of Quickboost resin engines and cowls through my Friendly Local HobbyTown USA. Fantastic parts and they'll save you the work of modifying the Monogram parts. They fit really nice too.