F2h 3/4 Banshee

phantomordie

Yes, but it wasn't a true NMF. It was actually a paintied aluminum finish as the USN couldn't allow NMF due to salt water corrosion in their carrier environment. The debate (IMO) is whether or not the planes were actually PAINTED Aluminum (ala like the Correguard leading edges on other USN planes); OR if the NMF was given a heavy CLEAR COAT as corosion protection. The latter idea would account for some differing panel tints seen on some USN a/c.

Either way, I think the solution for modelers is easy; ALCLAD! My one objection to Alclad is that it looks like a "painted" NMF when compared to MM Metalizer or SNJ polished aluminum. It photographs like NMF, but it doesn't quite pull it off for your eyes. However, this is PEFECT for those 50's USN aluminum jets (Banshees, FJ-2/3 Furys, Cutlasses, and the occasional Panther).

By the way, to my knowledge only the late model -3/4 Banshees had the silver finishes. I've never seen the earlier -2 Banjo's (Korean War vintage) in that schme. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Yes, but it wasn't a true NMF. It was actually a paintied aluminum finish as the USN couldn't allow NMF due to salt water corrosion in their carrier environment. The debate (IMO) is whether or not the planes were actually PAINTED Aluminum (ala like the Correguard leading edges on other USN planes); OR if the NMF was given a heavy CLEAR COAT as corosion protection. The latter idea would account for some differing panel tints seen on some USN a/c.

Either way, I think the solution for modelers is easy; ALCLAD! My one objection to Alclad is that it looks like a "painted" NMF when compared to MM Metalizer or SNJ polished aluminum. It photographs like NMF, but it doesn't quite pull it off for your eyes. However, this is PEFECT for those 50's USN aluminum jets (Banshees, FJ-2/3 Furys, Cutlasses, and the occasional Panther).

By the way, to my knowledge only the late model -3/4 Banshees had the silver finishes. I've never seen the earlier -2 Banjo's (Korean War vintage) in that schme. Cheers!

Thanks Gil. Do you know of any photos?

There are 3 sources for pics/profiles/color profiles. There's the Ginter book on the Banshee. It's one of his early works so the pics are a bit grainy and the side views are "crude". The better 2 are the "Banshee in Action" and the "USN Carrier Air Units, 1946-56"; both from Squadron Signal. The Air Units book may be out of production. Those both have some pics and several color profiles of silver Banshees. By the way, if you opt for the gray version of the -3/4 Banshee, then look for the later edition "USN Carrier Air Units, 1957-67". It has plenty of the gray/white late model Banshee color profiles. Best of luck!

There are 3 sources for pics/profiles/color profiles. There's the Ginter book on the Banshee. It's one of his early works so the pics are a bit grainy and the side views are "crude". The better 2 are the "Banshee in Action" and the "USN Carrier Air Units, 1946-56"; both from Squadron Signal. The Air Units book may be out of production. Those both have some pics and several color profiles of silver Banshees. By the way, if you opt for the gray version of the -3/4 Banshee, then look for the later edition "USN Carrier Air Units, 1957-67". It has plenty of the gray/white late model Banshee color profiles. Best of luck!

Thanks!