Achilles Build Progresses

Mark Aldrich

Whoever said model building was a relaxing hobby needs to be hogtied and horsewhipped!!! The Verlinden rounds arrived on Tuesday and I got around to messing with them yesterday. They are all too short and the primer plate is too wide to fit in the cradles. So I need to alter 32 rounds and then adjust the middle round support to accept the rounds. I did manage to get the smoke discharger wiring and firing apparatus done.

Got a little building and a lot of painting done.

Based the rounds after lots of sanding on the primer caps.

100_6088.jpg

Lots of interior painting so the build can progress

100_6090.jpg

Turret close up. The gun will eventually be the same color as the rest of the vehicle.

100_6091.jpg

100_6090.jpg

Ooooooh, Mark, you are in trouble! At the one o'clock position from the loading end of the gun, you have a parts bin labeled "CIVILIAN TRUCK PARTS"! You know from another thread here on the DF that you have committed an offensive foul by showing to everyone here that you use the word "civilian." 60 demerits for you! Shame! You'll probably get a 20% marker on your AUP meter for that. :smiley15:

Ed

Ed,

Wait....I am pulling my TREADHEAD card on that one! Treadheads use the "CIVILIAN" term to differentiate a Monogram R Mack and Kenworth from my 2 1/2 ton and Opel blitz trucks. There are also bins labeled Civilian vehicle parts to separate them from non-military based 4 wheeled vehicles. Besides, what are you looking at my BINS for? You are supposed to be looking at the ACHILLES!!!! Troublemaker!!!! HaHa If Dennis gives me a demerit then it will be well justified.......TREADHEADS UNITE!!!!!!!!!!!

:smiley20::smiley14:

Mark

I'm giving myself two secret demerits for having seen what Mr. Wahl saw earlier this evening and not making the same snarky comment.

Treadheads unite!

dt

Great.....Now I gotta worry 'bout SECRET demerits!!!! What's next....Double Secret probation??

:smiley20:

Great.....Now I gotta worry 'bout SECRET demerits!!!! What's next....Double Secret probation??

:smiley20:

Oops! Er, I meant to say sacred, or scared or.....nevermind. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Awesome work Mark! You may be a procrastinator, but your work is well worth waiting for. This is coming along very nicely!

I got nine models finished now, with five more almost finished. Since you've got your pics up, I think it's time to start posting some of mine soon.

Actually got a lot done on the turret! However, going to need to add weld seams to hide the bad joins on the loaders side.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Duke.....Painting will be easy. Not sure how to mark it yet. History tells they were NEVER used in combat(lack of 17 pounder ammuniction) but if I don't mark it, it will look like any other Field Drab Achilles. Thinking just some medium sized standard markings. Use some of my old Verlinden stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful job Mark! That is an awesome build. Now if only they made the Achilles in 1/72 scale, I'd be able to get four: One for Britain, one for France, one for Italy, and one for Israel.

Oh well, maybe someday.

Thanks Duke,

Maybe by the time a 1/72 version is released, we'll know who did the conversion work on the gunner's station.

Mark