Karl Siege Mortar

PSullivan

Hi,

Just joined IPMS a few days ago and I think I've figured how to post pictures (I hope). I bought the TRUPMETER KARL and have been working on it off and on for a long time and still have a long way to go. When I started I decided to to use the early style running gear/chassis which looked kind of busy and cool. That was a mistake as it took allot of time, effort, cutting, sanding and fiddling to get everything aligned and correct. It turned out to be very frustrating. As for the rest of the kit, things were pretty easy. Anyone wanting to build this might want to opt for the later style chassis, which is a much easier assembly. Instead of the kit tracks I bought the Fruimodel set which, although expensive, are excellent and very easy to assemble. I also bought the Eduard photo etch set for the kit and wound up using only about 1/2 of it. Sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth to trying to attach the really tiny bits.

Paul

Karl4.jpg

Karl2.jpg

Karl.jpg

Edited by PSullivan

Holy smoke! I've got that same kit sitting about 10 feet from me right now! How fortunate for me and how useful your info is! You've done a spectacular job! Please.....more details about paint used and other tips!

Holy smoke! I've got that same kit sitting about 10 feet from me right now! How fortunate for me and how useful your info is! You've done a spectacular job! Please.....more details about paint used and other tips!

Guys,

Thanks for the compliments!

I used Tamaiya acrylics starting with straight panzer gray thinned with isopropyl alcohol then gradually lightening it with white for highlights. Once dry I sprayed a coat of clear flat then then future floor polish and placed the decals for the first gun "ADAM". I kept the entire model in sections for the painting, i.e. lower chassis, upper deck, gun cradle, gun, and wheels. After applying the decals I did another coat of clear flat and once dry started applying a burnt umber wash (artist oils), then some pin washes using a mixture of burnt umber and lamp black oils. I did some more pin washes using oils to get a decent rust color. I have just started the initial dry brushing using artist oils. Right now as you see the model it is only dry fitted together except for the wheels which are now glued in place to show the gun in the lowered firing position. I still have a ways to go with the weathering and quite a few more parts to add. I plan to keep the rails off until the very end as I have already broken off small parts fiddling with the dry fitting. I found it handy to build a simple jig to hold the lower chassis tub while assembling, aligning and gluing all the parts involved with the early running gear.

Paul