M4A1... Derby

MikeMoore

Ok Mark, here it is. Just about ready for paint. See anything really wrong? If I can start painting soon, she just might make it to Phoenix with markings for "Derby" from the 2005 Convention sheet. She's 90% Formations (THANK YOU Rob for managing to get one last hull from the mold!), with a Drgon lower hull and wheels, AFV Club bogies, a bit of Aber etch and scratch built hand rails and bustle rack from soldered brass. The tracks will be Panda individual links. They go together GREAT, but I thought I'd die of boredom cutting them off the sprues and cleaning them up!

three.jpg

six.jpg

one.jpg

four.jpg

five.jpg

two.jpg

Mike,

Looks great. What keeps the stuff in the bustle rack from falling out the sides?

Mark

Mike,

Looks great. What keeps the stuff in the bustle rack from falling out the sides?

Mark

That's a great question, and I have no answer for it. There isn't much detail of the rack visible in the picture I have:

IMG_1078.jpg

It kind of looks like all the packed gear holds it in. Or the invisible force field!

Mike

M4A1Derbypic060%201.jpeg

M4A1Derbypic059.jpeg

I did "Derby" a few years back - I couldn't spy any cross-bars on the Turret Bustle Rack to hold things in there either. They just piled it in.

Good Luck with your rendition.

Jim

I did "Derby" a few years back - I couldn't spy any cross-bars on the Turret Bustle Rack to hold things in there either. They just piled it in.

Good Luck with your rendition.

Jim

Hey Jim,

I have to be honest. When I picked up all that wonderful resin from Rob he told me about your build. I've gone back to your write up on your website more than once to see how you handled things and to drool over your model. I didn't know you hung out here, but it's nice to be able to say thanks for the inspiration!

Mike

Hey Jim,

I have to be honest. When I picked up all that wonderful resin from Rob he told me about your build. I've gone back to your write up on your website more than once to see how you handled things and to drool over your model. I didn't know you hung out here, but it's nice to be able to say thanks for the inspiration!

Mike

Thanks Mike! I hang out everywhere - I'm just a quiet forum citizen. Rob's products are great - I recommend them to any and everyone. I didn't even know Rob knew about my buildup of one of his kits - that and your compliment makes me humble.

Good Luck with your build - I know it will come out great!

Jim

Jim,

Very nice Sherman! it's up to your usual quality. Hope you will be coming and bringing it (and others) to Phoenix next month.

Take care,

Mark

Hey Mark - long time! I hope things have been well with you!

Terry and I are driving in, due to arrive late morning-early afternoon on Thursday. I'm not sure if I'm going to bring "Derby" - but I am bringing three more Shermans and other models along for the Show.

See 'ya next month!

Jim

Hey Mark - long time! I hope things have been well with you!

Terry and I are driving in, due to arrive late morning-early afternoon on Thursday. I'm not sure if I'm going to bring "Derby" - but I am bringing three more Shermans and other models along for the Show.

See 'ya next month!

Jim

Hey Jim,

Please do bring Derby. I'm pretty sure I'll make it in time with my rendition, and I think it would be fun to see them together.

Mike

Hey Jim,

Please do bring Derby. I'm pretty sure I'll make it in time with my rendition, and I think it would be fun to see them together.

Mike

Okay - I'll bring "Derby" along too - the more the merrier!

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

And here she is...almost complete...just a few touch ups and she get's boxed for the flight Wed. If you go to PHX, you'll see her on the table!

right.jpg

rear1.jpg

rear.jpg

left1.jpg

left.jpg

front1.jpg

front.jpg

right1.jpg

Mike, how did she do? Was at the show Thursday and loved Derby.

Hey Rob, sorry I missed you there, and thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, the judges didn't agree so much. But more importantly, it was a fun build and will look great on my shelf!

Mike

Mike,

That's how judging works. I loved Darby and you did an incredible job. Big Kudos to you!!!

Hey Mark,

Thanks! It was great meeting you and putting a face to the name. I hope you guys are having a nice trip home. And yeah, it is how judging works! There were a lot of really nice Shermans entered, so I really didn't hold out much hope. I just thought it was a fun project and it was fun to support a new award. I hope the decal sheet theme award keeps going.

Mike

Mike,

I was looking forward to seeing your Sherman in person and was not disappointed! I thought it was exceptional.

While I did not participate in judging that category, I thought it would be in the mix for an award. Great work and

attention to detail. It was fun seeing both your's and Jim Lewis' "Derby" together on the table.

Mark

Mike,

That is a beautiful model.

Chris Fontenot

Thanks Chris...if you come to our show in Chattanooga, you can see it live.

Mike,

I was looking forward to seeing your Sherman in person and was not disappointed! I thought it was exceptional.

While I did not participate in judging that category, I thought it would be in the mix for an award. Great work and

attention to detail. It was fun seeing both your's and Jim Lewis' "Derby" together on the table.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the comments. There were a lot of Shermans there, and most of them looked really good, so I wasn't really too surprised not to place. And I agree, it was a blast seeing Jim's model there as well. And nicer to meet him, a gentleman indeed!

Mike

Mike,

You sound like me! I loved the whole experience. I met two great authors (Chris Bucholtz and Alex Yofe), bought way too much stuff (MIG and Hold n fold [to mention a FEW], won a few things at the Raffle, had FSM take pics of my staghound, and met some GREAT people (you included..haha), and saw some OLD friends (for you Brad)! That was what it was ALL about to me!!! Also....I think TreadHead is not an ugly word. I am hoping to see the break down of armor versus aircraft....kits only...no dioramas.

Mark

Edited by Mark Aldrich

I will be at the Chattanooga show and would love to see it in person. In fact I am bringing the family and making a weekend of it. So many cool things to do in Chattanooga. Anyway, love your tank.

Chris

Mike - thank you for the compliment - and I too was honored to meet you!

Despite the results of the judging, I really liked your rendition of "Derby". We should have parked them right next to each other! :P

When you finish up your final Display Base, please post photos here, I'd like to see how you bring it home too.

Jim

When you finish up your final Display Base, please post photos here, I'd like to see how you bring it home too.

Jim

You got it Jim.

Mike