2000 GMC Sierra...start to finish

The things we do for love…my oldest daughter’s fiancé owned a 2000 GMC Sierra, and loved it. About fours years ago, someone sideswiped him on a local interstate and sent him into a bridge abutment. The truck was totaled. Jessica has been after me for two years to build a model of his truck for him…

01_GMC2000_ExPic_001.jpg

This was the only thing close to a Sierra…R/M’s 1999 Chevy Silverado. But, it took a lot of work to convert this into his truck.

03_Revell_Kit_Box.jpg

The side trim is different from the Chevy, so it had to go…

04_GMC2000_ProgPic_001.jpg

…and it went…

05_GMC2000_ProgPic_002.jpg

Also, Matt’s truck was a single cab, so the extended cab had to be cut down…(along with the frame, interior, exhaust system, and drivetrain)…

06_GMC2000_ProgPic_003.jpg

Also, he had a bench seat, and no console…so mods had to be made in the interior…

08_GMM_09-29-09001.jpg

Here is the test fit for the cab, bed, and frame…

09_GMM_09-29-09002.jpg

I was able to find a resin toolbox for the bed…(Thanks, ChrisM!!!)

10_GMM_09-29-09003.jpg

The Chevy grill had to be converted…

11_GMC2000_ProgPic_001.jpg

…there is still some work to do in this pic, as the grill surround is too wide for the 2000 year…

12_GMC2000_ProgPic_003.jpg

But, finally…I am finished…

That looks great Keith. Now all it needs is a load of sheet rock in the back, on it's way to your house!

Mike

Hi, Keith,

I have this same Revell kit in the stash, but it never occurred to me to cut off the crew cab's rear seat area. This is a great looking truck conversion. You must have found suitable GMC plaques and markings for the body; the grille piece looks like resin.

So, the big question is: How did your daughter and her friend like it when you showed them the final model? Did the love get reinforced? Or is that chapter yet to be written?

Ed

Thanks, All!

Mike...I'm not replacing any sheetrock during the wife's version of "Extreme Home Makeover", but I have had to do some repairs from the demolition here and there.

Ed...The grill converted from the kit part, but the GMC grill emblem is from an AMT 1995 GMC Sonoma pickup kit from a long time ago...I owned a '95 S-10 Pickup, and was doing the opposite of this project, by stretching AMT's S-10 single cab kit into an extended cab to match my personal vehicle, and I bought the GMC kit at Big Lots for a couple of bucks to use the parts for that conversion. Got the project to the painting stage, and boxed it up...it's still waiting to be finished, even though I traded the truck in 2000. My daughter has seen these pics, but her fiance hasn't...we're working on a date and time to give the model to him.

Edited by Keith Pruitt

Great conversion and story. A nice gift but unless he is a modeler, I doubt that he will realize what a fantastic job it was. Looks great. As the resident GM guy, I am pleased. :D

Thanks, Clare...I'm glad you like it. My daughter suggested that I print the progress pictures so Matt could see the amount of work that went into the build. Still waiting to hear from her about a day and time to make delivery. I'll try to post a pic of him when he sees it for the first time...

Edited by Keith Pruitt

• 2 months later...