YP.80 A in Italy (1944)

gabriele

I'm looking scale plans of YP.80 A: I want to reproduce one of two YP.80A, S/N 44-8308 (C/N 1007) e S/N 44-83029 (C/N 1008), that in december of 1944 was used in Italy (based at Foggia ), from the 1/48 kit Monogram P.80 C...Please may you help me to find these scale plans or drawings ?

Thanks you so mutch

Regards

Gabriele

I can't point you to any scale plans. However, if you can get the Bob Steinbrun article on how he built his P-80A (Fine Scale Modeler magazine, back in the mid 1980's) you'll be close to the YP-80. There's are some cosmetic changes you can do easily to the Monogram kit to get you most of the way there, and most people won't miss the rest of the differences. Bob did almost everything you need to do, even the stuff that can't really be seen when it's done, so I think you'd find his article very helpful. Unfortunately, my collection of FSM doesn't go back that far any more. Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Some nice pics to help you out here.

http://www.1stfighter.org/photos/P80inItaly.html

Some nice pics to help you out here.

http://www.1stfighter.org/photos/P80inItaly.html

Thanks you; I know that web site and also in Italy there are others web site with pics on P.80 in my country, but the problem for me are the wings...

What is the problem with the wing Gabriele? Is there a supposed span difference, or perhaps the thickness of the Monogram kit wings? Since the P-80 was strictly a fighter to begin with, the wing may have been "beefed up" in order to make it into the fighter-bomber it later became. What do you think the P-80 wing needs?

I can't point you to any scale plans. However, if you can get the Bob Steinbrun article on how he built his P-80A (Fine Scale Modeler magazine, back in the mid 1980's) you'll be close to the YP-80. There's are some cosmetic changes you can do easily to the Monogram kit to get you most of the way there, and most people won't miss the rest of the differences. Bob did almost everything you need to do, even the stuff that can't really be seen when it's done, so I think you'd find his article very helpful. Unfortunately, my collection of FSM doesn't go back that far any more. Best of luck!

Thanks you Gil; now I see to find the issue on that magazine; for the wins of YP-80 A : these wings were more shorter than P 80 C or not :wacko: ? also the fouselage of YP.80 A was shorter...

My understanding is that YP-80 and production P-80 dimensions should be the same. The XP-80 had the shorter fuselage and wings, and different shaped intakes. Bob Steinbrunn's conversion didn't alter any of the overall dimensions of the Monogram kit. Just the relevant details like cockpit location, inlet splitters removed, canopy shape, etc. The bulk of his work was just superdetailing areas like the gun bay, airbrakes, landing gear and cockpit.

I'd be interested i knowing if I'm assuming wrong about the size.

Rick L.

My understanding is that YP-80 and production P-80 dimensions should be the same. The XP-80 had the shorter fuselage and wings, and different shaped intakes. Bob Steinbrunn's conversion didn't alter any of the overall dimensions of the Monogram kit. Just the relevant details like cockpit location, inlet splitters removed, canopy shape, etc. The bulk of his work was just superdetailing areas like the gun bay, airbrakes, landing gear and cockpit.

I'd be interested i knowing if I'm assuming wrong about the size.

Rick L.

Dear Rick

thank you; in these days I learned that only the wings of YP. 80 A was shorter than P.80 A (wingspan of YP.80 A: meters 11,887; wingspan of P.80 A and of P.80 C m. 12,167). The difference in only of cm. 28 who in 1/48 scale is 5 mm...I think that it is better no change anythings on the wings of Monogram kit...

Edited by gabriele