Bright oil?

mwbutler

My guess is a gloss coat of some kind. Try painting a piece of scrap plastic first, when it dries put it over the top of the paint and see what happens.

That stuff is very old. That marine color line was discontinued a long time ago. I've got a few bottles of the series in other colors yet, seem to be still good. Never used that particular item though and I no longer have a catalog sheet for the line.

EJ

Thanks for the pic. That would look good as spilled fuel on a Russian tank or something. Or maybe as oil leaking from an old WWII aircraft engine. Too bad it's not around anymore.

According to a Floquil Marine Colors chart I have, this was a part of their line of "Classic Colors of Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Vessels." And although it's not clear from the chart, it may have been a "rigging stain" into which rigging thread was to be dipped in order to simulate oiled rope. Or perhaps it was intended to be applied to wood or metal surfaces on sailing ships that would have had an oil film applied in real life.

The chart does not have a chip for this color. In fact, the space where the chip would normally be on the chart bears the words "CHIP NOT SHOWN."