1/48 T-28s

MPeters

Why hasn't *some* company come out with a new mold of this airplane? The ancient Monogram kit couldn't have done that badly in sales. IMO, once the molds were done (to at least a decent degree of accuracy/detail) it would be like writing a blank check to themselves!

Mike

I agree with you Mike. Although there is enough aftermarket to make "a silk purse out of a sow's ear", it sure would be sweet if someone would re-mold it. After all, it is a rather important aircraft that filled practically all missions.

I could be loosing my mind, but I think I read where this is going to be a selected re-release subject coming soon.

If you didn't have one, it could be a good chance to pick up a few up...

I know it's not the same as having a new kit, but it sure beats paying "too much" for one just because they haven't been out in a while... ;)

I'd buy a NEW T-28! And you guys know me, I've already built the old Monogram kit once, and will do so again if I have to. I have little to no hesitation in tackling vacs and resin kits and scoff (ha-ha) at low presuure injection molded items. :smiley2: That said, I also frequently grab a Tamigawavellogram kit just to give my bleeding fingers a week or three to heal some....

The T-28 has a lot of attraction to American modelers. I'm not sure how much appeal it would have to Europeans and Asians. It can built it bright USN trainer colors, USAF NMF, and in COIN camo schemes. A new mold kit would need to take into account the early engine/cowl/prop features vs. the later model features; and the tail would need be different for the Navy C's vs. the USAF D's. This might mean a mish-mash fuselage approach like Hasagawa has used on their P-40 kits. The problem here is that it's more likely that someone like Classic Airframes or Special Hobby would do the kit instead of Monogram or Hasagawa; so the fit of those components could be problimatical.

Some may ask why Monogram doesn't simply "update" and retool their original molds? This is similar to what Monogram tried with the old Aurora molds they bought in the 70's. Evidently the steel molds were so hardened from use over the years that it was very difficult to retool them; and that made it even more expensive than anticipated. The same could be said for the old 1960 era T-28 molds (presumably). That, combined with the fact that Revell/Monongram has almost sworn off new a/c kits would seem to make this a no-go.

I'll put off building my 1/48 T-28A/B for a couple of years yet. Maybe someone will do a new tool molding of the Trojan. It's safe to say that we're living in the Golden Age of kitting. We're having things released in injection mold that we would've never anticipated 10-20yrs ago! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16: