Space Station K7 Re Release

I just picked up the rerelease of the K7 Space Starion as seen in the Star Trek TOS epicode 'The Trouble with Tribbles'. I've always wanted to build this one, but have never been willing to pay the 70+ dollars they have commanded on eBay. Since I have seen the original kit before, I was more or less expecting that quality, however I was surprised when James showed me the contents of the kit. In dry fitting, the parts mate up very well and the seams have been really easy to eliminate thus far. The high point of this kit is the decal sheet. It's not big, but it contains markings that would allow the build to build it using various other station registries. This will also be a great kit for some kitbashing - especially at a price of around 25.00.

I'm going to try to get this one completed for the Atlanta show next weekend. I'll be rummaging through all of my spare parts boxes to add some surface details as well as improve some of the areas of the kit. The first improvement will be to replace the molded shuttlebay door with some styrene clapboard for better door detail.

The following are some shots of the kit parts as well as some of my initial progress.

K7_DECALS.jpg

DSC_5475.jpg

DSC_5473.jpg

DSC_5471.jpg

DSC_5470.jpg

DSC_5469.jpg

DSC_5462.jpg

DSC_5460.jpg

DSC_5457.jpg

DSC_5456.jpg

DSC_5455.jpg

DSC_5453.jpg

I started with a littlebit of detail work on this last night. All of the surface details and textures I'm using come from various German armor kits. The challenge is not overdoing the detail to a point that it looks ridiculous.

DSC_5487.jpg

DSC_5486.jpg

DSC_5485.jpg

DSC_5484.jpg

DSC_5483.jpg

DSC_5482.jpg