Computers and modeling

Don Flynn

I thought of this last nite while I was working on a couple models. I use a computer at my work bench all the time, load photo's of what planes I might be working on, diagrams and the like.

I've found it to be a useful tool. Also I can take short breaks without leaving the model bench to surf the net and check emails without having to move to the main machine I use here.

What I started doing was since I try to get a new machine every 2-3 years downgrading the current main machine to the hobby room, where its good for another couple years :P

Current hobby room machine is 3 years old, this one turns 2 this summer but I'm thinking of getting a Windoz 7 machine end of the year

323460755.jpg

This pic is about a year old, I moved some shelving by the table there a couple months ago

Edited by Don Flynn

A laptop and a wireless network can be a wonderful thing. I can listen to Nats games on MLB.COM while modeling. Oh, and you can cehck out reference photos too. :D

A laptop and a wireless network can be a wonderful thing. I can listen to Nats games on MLB.COM while modeling. Oh, and you can cehck out reference photos too. :D

I've got both of those too but for the hobby room machine I like the hard wired connection better. I like to use the internet radio when I model too....keeps the screen on since I set it to go off after 45 minutes (same with the main puter)

Thanks to a good friend I'll have a laptop for my workdesk once I get set up back in Kentucky. It's a terrific tool to be able to use right away. I also can access my info folders for different aircraft and teh kits to see what I need to either improve or correct.

Later,

Lee

While I don't have the bench space where I usually work, I do have a laptop I pull out and can set off to the side. If it is something I really need, I usually walk into the room where the computer is (bigger/better monitor & the printer is there too).

I try to keep the work space and the computer seperate - I usually get "stuck" on the computer & don't end up getting much done on the project I am working on!

I have an PC in my hobby room. It's not connected to the net yet but it is connected to an ALPS 1000 printer. My main PC is set up in the family room; it's where I do my research and create the decal art.

I'm with David...a laptop and wireless works for me. If I need the computer near the bench, it can be there, otherwise it's downstairs in my office.

Mike

I guess I'm double dog lucky:

1. My loving wife of 23 years understands and has supported "The Model Room" in our house. So I have a dedicated room entirely devoted to my passion with plastic.

2. In that model room, I have arranged not just two, but three desks all sort of facing each other. The primary desk is where I build. The secondary desk is "The Computer desk"/building desk for guest number one, usually my brother. The third desk is for a second guest builder or over flow from the primary desk.

- I too have learned over the past decade the value of the internet for researching my subjects. Where else can you find photos of a Zairian Mirage IIIDM? (Actually, in a book, which I have since acquired. But the internet was still very useful).

- The down side to the PC on the "other" desk is it means I can't do both, research and building, at the same time. And of course, once I'm at the PC, just like Tim H., I get side-tracked fiddling around on the PC more than building the model that started it all. Sheeesh! Whadda ya gonna do? Model on, Brothers of the Sprue.

Plan on combining the "office" (with computer) and the building space later this summer. :smiley20: Yea, it's at the insistance of my wife who wants her dining room back.... :smiley18:

GIL :smiley16:

Looks like you guys might actually have something to look forward to now with the performance Strasburg put up tonight...