What The Heck Is Going On With My Paint

Guest Chrgr440RT

Guest Chrgr440RT

Ok, guys got a question to pose to you. And before i pose it, let me start off by saying that, yes, i know i made about 67 different mistakes by doing this, but i am still wondering what happened so i might be able to prevent it in the future. When i got stationed in korea earlier this summer i was only able to bring my hodge podge collection of acrylics with me, so I am missing thinners and my enamels. Oh and to make matters worse, I cannot find a hobby shop around here that has what i need. I can find Academy models everywhere, but no place that sells the stuff to put them together, believe me I have tried.

Last night i was mixing a lightened topcoat for my 1/48 Stug III. Unfortuantely, I am really strapped on what paint i have with me. I was using Model Master Acrylic RLM 79 Sand Yellow. To lighten it I was using Tamiya flat white ( I know you never mix different brand paints, but that is all I have). I use Isopropyl alcohol as a thinnner (mistake number 2, I usually use Tamoya thinner, but couldn't bring it with me). Well when i stirred it all together, the white started to pop up to the surface of the mix in small dots. eventually the white almost completely separated and surfaced.

I ended up throwing the mix away after stirring for about 10 minutes trying to get the white to mix. What happened? Is is incompatability of the two paints, or what. After I chucked the bad mix, i lightened the RLM 79 with Model Master Acrylic Old Concrete, so I am thinking it is a paint compatability thing. Thanks

Guest Pyrman

Mike, MM/ACRYL is glycol-based and Tamiya is alcohol-based - they're not really compatible.

p.s. you might try getting modeling supplies from Lucky Model, they're based in Hong Kong and the shipping is reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Where in Korea are you at? TDC has an excellent model shop right off base. I was in my hey day (buying) when I was stationed there. Also, Casey and Hovey both had a great selection of kits and such at the on base craft centers.

Guest Chrgr440RT

Unfortunately Kunsan Air Base doesn't have the modeling dedication the Army camps do. I had gotten word that there was a pretty decent shop up by Osan in Song Tan. Unfortuantely I couldn't find it when I was up there and I figured it closed down. The exchanges on base have nothing or next to nothing. I am trying to get up to Seoul. I know they have some stuff there. I have been buying kits, I still can't believe that Academy kits are so much cheaper over here. But I need to get paint and other stuff, not jsut the plastic.