Tamiya Jagdtiger Mid

Mike Delano

Here are some photos from the Tamiya Jagdtiger Mid Production. This will probably be up within the next couple weeks on the review site. This kit was a dream - it's been a long time since I have completed a Tamiya kit (most of which were from the 70's that I inherited from my granddad). I added a set of Friul tracks to this one laong with an Eduard aluminum barrel (only because I had them, not because the kit needed them). I still have a bit more detail work to do as well as the engine deck mounted MG.

DSC_5429.jpg

DSC_5428.jpg

DSC_5427.jpg

DSC_5425.jpg

DSC_5423.jpg

DSC_5421.jpg

DSC_5417.jpg

Mike,

Great job on this kit. This was my first build this year. I to replaced the tracks with a set of fruil tracks and I replaced the barrel with one from JB Models. Only reason was I wanted riffling inside the barrel as the kit barrel did not have this. This was a great kit to build as are most of the new and old Tamiya kits. Nice to see somebody elses work with the same kit.

Chris

Mike,

Great job on this kit. This was my first build this year. I to replaced the tracks with a set of fruil tracks and I replaced the barrel with one from JB Models. Only reason was I wanted riffling inside the barrel as the kit barrel did not have this. This was a great kit to build as are most of the new and old Tamiya kits. Nice to see somebody elses work with the same kit.

Chris

Well again, my experience with Tamiya kits was in the older ones - now that I know how much better their newer releases are, I'm more incluned to pick a few of them up. My only complaint, I guess, is the fact that they are a bit price prohibitive.

Mike,

Costly yes!, But so is everything else now a days. I to have a ton of the older kits and still build them. In fact I have one on the bench now. It is a great kit, but I am adding a lot of extras. Not that the kit needs it, just my choice. I believe Mark the other poster on here had a Britsh tank at the IPMS Regional Noreastcon that was OOB and looked great. So yes the older Tamiya kits were and still are great kits. But the newer ones have newer tooling and a lot of great extras that the older kits do not. Either way new or old, Tamiya kits rock. Again great job.

Chris

Nice work Mike!

As a site note: I've found that if I "need to get" one of the newer Tamiya kits it is cheaper (much in some cases) to order direct from Japan when the first come out. If it's something I didn't get the first round, I can usually find them in the re-sale market (eBay or hobby shows) sometime later. You're right - it is not easy shelling out the cash for one if you pay US retail.

• 1 month later...

The review should be posted sometime soon - this was a really nice kit! I was very pleasently surprised as I was expecting the type of kit like the Tamiya armor kits of the 70's that inherited form my grandad years ago. I was very pleasently surprised!