1966-1970 vintage VW Model kit.

Hi, my name is Bill I'm a new member from Delaware and I could use some help from the forum. I have been trying to find the plastic model of a Volkswagon that was made between 1966-1970. It was molded in Black plastic, maybe larger than 1/24 scale 1/18,1/16 scale and of a 1966-1968? VW with the the crank handle sunroof, not the full cloth sunroof. The body had to be built by fitting the sides to the frame. Had opening doors,trunk, and engine compartment. Anyone know who made it? I was 8 or 9 years old at the time, and tried to finish it for him. I'm a little fuzzy on the year because I had just finished the original issue 1/96 scale Saturn V rocket kit. Things sagged a bit in my zeal to finish it, which unknown to me at the time, became the future fate of his 1966 VW 1300, as well as my own 52 year old body. I can't seem to find anything on the web. Maybe some old model Memories? Catalogs? Books?

My Dad will be 82 this year, and I would like him to know that I found who made this kit, as I spent many a Saturday washing and waxing his Volkswagon over this, later to become the first car I drove at 16, to my first job and best job to date, at a Hobby shop!

I worked at the shop until going in the Navy at 18,(1976-1980) and afterward while going to College. Best job, best people,(Co-workers and Customers) you could ever meet, and still keep in touch after 30 years. :smiley20:

Thanks for your help. I thought you found it! I thought it looked promising at first, but it is a 1951/1952, with a split rear window and no sunroof.

This kit ranks up there with finding Jimmy Hoffa. I'm doing more research finding out what year VW came out with the crank handle sunroof in case the model was a pre-1966. I bought this kit for him as a Christmas present at a department store, which had to have been between 1967 and 1970. I'm thinking it was Christmas 1968, which Apollo 8 was in orbit around the Moon on Dec 24, and got the 1/96 Revell kit of the Saturn V on Christmas day. Hmmm...

Who produced a VW kit in 1967-1968 with opening doors, trunk, and engine lid, with a crank handle sunroof? I have to try looking for model catalog's from that era, or maybe listings of models produced during that time.

Thanks for jogging my memory

Thank you so much Mark for helping keep digging. I found it on Ebay Finally! It was a Pyro Kit. Called "VW sunroof sedan" Molded in black plastic, side's that had to be assembled, and after seeing the box art, that was it! Thanks for all your help, you have no idea what this means to me. :smiley31:

William,

No problem. I surf EBAY alot when I am looking for stuff. Because of what I build (Middle East Wars), my local hobby shops carry very little. I enjoy checking it out.

Mark