Banshee Blue

phantomordie

Gloss Sea Blue FS 15042. I think Model Master call it Dark Sea Blue #1717. You could also use Flat Sea Blue and gloss coat it.

HTH,

Jim

I think you have some "room" on this one....color pics from '48-'52 show a wide range of dark gloss blue. Some are very blue, others are almost blue-black, and yet others have a "grayness" to the blue. Like any other paints, I'm sure it differed a bit from batch to batch and also according to the number of coats applied.

I like Model Master Dark Sea Blue for the "gray" DSB. However, if you want a straighter DSB, I suggest getting the small bottle of Testors Dark Blue gloss, and then add a few drops of gloss black. Thin it with lacquer thinner and then spray it on until you get the color depth you want. The more you spray on, the "blacker" it will get.

If you're doing a "weathered" bird, you can try Floquil Dark Blue. You can simply coat it on until you get the color you want, or add a little Engine Black to tint it the way you want. This will be a flat paint instaead of gloss, and may give you a better "used" finish compared to flat coating glossy paint.

I'm amost to the painting stage on an F3D Skynight I'm doing in the overall DSB scheme, circa 1948. I'll post a few pics when I get it painted. Best of luck with your Banshee! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

I think you have some "room" on this one....color pics from '48-'52 show a wide range of dark gloss blue. Some are very blue, others are almost blue-black, and yet others have a "grayness" to the blue. Like any other paints, I'm sure it differed a bit from batch to batch and also according to the number of coats applied.

I like Model Master Dark Sea Blue for the "gray" DSB. However, if you want a straighter DSB, I suggest getting the small bottle of Testors Dark Blue gloss, and then add a few drops of gloss black. Thin it with lacquer thinner and then spray it on until you get the color depth you want. The more you spray on, the "blacker" it will get.

If you're doing a "weathered" bird, you can try Floquil Dark Blue. You can simply coat it on until you get the color you want, or add a little Engine Black to tint it the way you want. This will be a flat paint instaead of gloss, and may give you a better "used" finish compared to flat coating glossy paint.

I'm amost to the painting stage on an F3D Skynight I'm doing in the overall DSB scheme, circa 1948. I'll post a few pics when I get it painted. Best of luck with your Banshee! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks for clearing up a lot of confusion from the answers I have been getting elsewhere. I'll stick to IPMS wisdom from now on.