P61 Black Widow

Ronald

Need help

Im trying to find the best way to prep my 1/48 scale P61 Black Widow fusalage for priming, there are several openings and there are guns underneath allready painted and also in the frount and back of the plane are the sighting post how do I protect them from breaking one came off several times so do I use tissue or some type of spung any suggestions would be appreciated-thank you

Ronald

The short answer is: whatever works!

Soft sponge (think the make-up type) is very good. Tissue is also good, and usually easy to come by in the house. Facial tissue is better than toilet tissue as it leaves less paper fibers when you pull it out. Care must be exercised when "stuffing" those items into openings. You need to make sure they're tight, but also avoid breaking off anything down in the openings. Toothpicks and exacto blades are good items to use when stuffing it in to make sure every corner has been "filled".

Sometimes tape is the simplest and easiest method. Just place a large piece over the opening and use a new SHARP blade to trim the excess away flush with the edges of the opening.

If you have items that are going to stick out, like machine gun barels, you have 2 choices. 1) Be VERY careful when masking around them, or 2) Cut them off and glue them back in place towards the end of the project. You can drill a tiny hole in the barrel and the receiver and add a thin wire to act as a locator when you glue the barrel back on later.

Your question is a common theme for almost every build, and there's no one "right" answer. I've even seen people cut out paper masks and attach them with rubber cement or liquid masking material that can be easily peeled away later. Experiment a bit and see what workd best for you. Don't be afraid to alter the contruction sequences to make YOUR painting and masking easier. Following the instructions to the letter is optional! Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

The short answer is: whatever works!

Soft sponge (think the make-up type) is very good. Tissue is also good, and usually easy to come by in the house. Facial tissue is better than toilet tissue as it leaves less paper fibers when you pull it out. Care must be exercised when "stuffing" those items into openings. You need to make sure they're tight, but also avoid breaking off anything down in the openings. Toothpicks and exacto blades are good items to use when stuffing it in to make sure every corner has been "filled".

Sometimes tape is the simplest and easiest method. Just place a large piece over the opening and use a new SHARP blade to trim the excess away flush with the edges of the opening.

If you have items that are going to stick out, like machine gun barels, you have 2 choices. 1) Be VERY careful when masking around them, or 2) Cut them off and glue them back in place towards the end of the project. You can drill a tiny hole in the barrel and the receiver and add a thin wire to act as a locator when you glue the barrel back on later.

Your question is a common theme for almost every build, and there's no one "right" answer. I've even seen people cut out paper masks and attach them with rubber cement or liquid masking material that can be easily peeled away later. Experiment a bit and see what workd best for you. Don't be afraid to alter the contruction sequences to make YOUR painting and masking easier. Following the instructions to the letter is optional! Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

sure will GiL thank's